Whats the area called where the pipe enters the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
Hey guys, hope everyone's day is going good. In my basement chimney, I have one round 6 inch thimble going into the chimney. The chimney is cinder block but the 6x6 terracotta liner does not start until about 6 or so inches above the thimble. In this area below where the liner starts, isn't is supposed to be lined with something to keep the heat off of the cinder blocks?

It looks like some sort of plates, maybe terracotta plates? I just want to be sure this particular area is safe as I will start burning again fall of this year. I would think that something would have to be there being being the temps there are so hot. If some of you dont know, this chimney was used just one season out of its total 38 year existence but I scrapped the wood burning when my heat pump went out and I installed a new trane XR15 outdoor unit with a new trane indoor unit. The new trane cant hold a candle wood heat so Im going back, at least for the colder months here in NC (dec-feb)

house is brick ranch, 38 years old. Chimney has 3 flues, the other 2 are for the fireplace upstairs but those 2 are capped off and never used.

Thanks guys!
C

I believe that's the throat then smoke chamber and from what I can remember that's the way my father built them back in the day. Everyone is gonna recommend you have a chimney sweep check it out and run a liner down it just a heads up.

Reactions: CHeath
Hey guys, hope everyone's day is going good. In my basement chimney, I have one round 6 inch thimble going into the chimney. The chimney is cinder block but the 6x6 terracotta liner does not start until about 6 or so inches above the thimble. In this area below where the liner starts, isn't is supposed to be lined with something to keep the heat off of the cinder blocks?

It looks like some sort of plates, maybe terracotta plates? I just want to be sure this particular area is safe as I will start burning again fall of this year. I would think that something would have to be there being being the temps there are so hot. If some of you dont know, this chimney was used just one season out of its total 38 year existence but I scrapped the wood burning when my heat pump went out and I installed a new trane XR15 outdoor unit with a new trane indoor unit. The new trane cant hold a candle wood heat so Im going back, at least for the colder months here in NC (dec-feb)

house is brick ranch, 38 years old. Chimney has 3 flues, the other 2 are for the fireplace upstairs but those 2 are capped off and never used.

Thanks guys!
C
Where the pipe enters the chimney is called the crock or the breach and your chimney should have a liner from the bottom of the chimney all the way to the top. The liners should not have any cracks and all of the joints should have mortar in them and be sealed with no gaps. If you have a clean out the liner should run down to that clean out and everything should be sealed there to and the door should have a good seal as well. I would recommend having a pro come out and inspect it probably with a camera before you try using it at all. But if your liner does not run down to the crock I can already tell you what they are going to say.

Reactions: CHeath
I believe that's the throat then smoke chamber and from what I can remember that's the way my father built them back in the day. Everyone is gonna recommend you have a chimney sweep check it out and run a liner down it just a heads up.
What you are describing is for a fireplace not a chimney with a crock.

Im sure and thats fine, I know that technology gets better but 3 months total burn on T tiles, no thanks, ive ran a go pro down it and they look new, no cracks. I did build up some creasote from wet wood in those 3 months but I cleaned it pretty well and in the last 3 years, mother nature did a way better job than I did removing the rest. I helped my dad install his 6x6's when I was 10 and he has burned exclusively with wood since that date. Im 44 now and they look really good. I sweep them every year. Ill stick with the tiles for a while.

Reactions: Blazing
Im sure and thats fine, I know that technology gets better but 3 months total burn on T tiles, no thanks, ive ran a go pro down it and they look new, no cracks. I did build up some creasote from wet wood in those 3 months but I cleaned it pretty well and in the last 3 years, mother nature did a way better job than I did removing the rest. I helped my dad install his 6x6's when I was 10 and he has burned exclusively with wood since that date. Im 44 now and they look really good. I sweep them every year. Ill stick with the tiles for a while.
Ok they may have only been used a short time but they are 38 years if they have had rain coming down them that whole time the joints could very easily be bad. Not to mention the problems that could be caused by that water freezing in there. And then you have the fact that as you say the liners don't run down past the crock that is a big problem. If it wasn't built right to begin with it doesn't matter what condition they are in

Ok they may have only been used a short time but they are 38 years if they have had rain coming down them that whole time the joints could very easily be bad. Not to mention the problems that could be caused by that water freezing in there. And then you have the fact that as you say the liners don't run down past the crock that is a big problem. If it wasn't built right to begin with it doesn't matter what condition they are in
you are right, Planning on a full sweep check before I begin for sure.

Reactions: bholler