What's the best Stainless Flue brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sproultrapper

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
Central PA
I am shopping for a stainless flue, what is the general consensus on the best brand. Which ones are the heaviest guage stell etc.????

I will be burning a harman wood stove in the flue, that is after i buy the stove this weekend

Liner or Class A?

Most any of the more well known brands like Simpson or Selkirk are fine for standard wood burners. Just get something with the stainless inner and insulated (not just airspace).

I would agree. Look into the warranties as well. I have Excel which has a lifetime warranty.

When the pipe is insulated, it keeps the flue warmer, hense easier to establish a draft

O.K.

what is the expected life of these stainless flues? I understand they perform better than masonry flues, but how long will they last. Anybody have one for more than 10 years???

Are we still talking about a liner or a class A chimney system... we seem to have hit points in a few different categories.

I am talking about a class a chimney.

I just talked to my neighbor. His metabestos is 15 years old. although he only burns his stove occassionaly

I have a Selkirk that I installed in 83. It's on a wood furness and still looks good when I look inside during inspection time. I am putting in a new stove and chimney in a different location in the house as I need a heater that does not need power for a fan. I expect the new chimney to outlive me.

O.K.

Thanks for the input. I am sold on a stainless flue. I just have to price them. Looks like simpson or selkirk. My harman dealer also sells simpson flue. I guess I'll check with him on price first

Four Selkirk Matalbestos wood burning flues personally installed over 20 years. Expensive, but high quality, simple installation, manufactured parts always fit and perform well. I've installed 2 other flue systems for friends: one in new , one in a retrofit.
They insulate well, easy to clean and maintain.....some high end architects use them as a feature. Selkirk chimneys can be installed in near any kind of construction. Get the best.

I just bought 15' of Simpson duraplus and a chimney cap for $240 from Home depot. Pretty darn happy.

I just installed Dura Plus in my house and it was simple with there basic install kit Highly Recommended!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.