whats the difference between an insert and a high efficiency fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have make & model of each? Technically an insert is designed to go into a masonry wood burning fireplace. An EPA approved high efficiency fireplace should be OK to install in a framed wall, clearances will vary with different units. With make & model I may be able to get more specific.

pyro68 said:
do you have make & model of each? Technically an insert is designed to go into a masonry wood burning fireplace. An EPA approved high efficiency fireplace should be OK to install in a framed wall, clearances will vary with different units. With make & model I may be able to get more specific.

Sorry for the delayed reply my internet was down. I don't have any specific models, I was just browsing and noticed the 2 options. I may of missed something obvious but they seemed to be the same thing with different names. I was just curious if there is a difference and if so what it was. Or is it just someone "churchin" up the name. Thanks!

a couple of websites for you to check out. go to www.lopifire.com click on the wood option and look at fireplace inserts. They will give the requirements for installing a wood insert. Go to www.kozyheat.com and look under wood fireplaces. Specifically the Z-42. that unit is an EPA approved true zero clearance fireplace. Basically a wood stove that is in a zero clearance box, Ok to install in a framed opening. Different from an "open" zero clearance unit that opperates with doors open and damper open. Can be rather confusing. Feel free to contact me direct if I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.