When is a good time of year to paint inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've been tasked to paint the house interior, at some point. :) I know low humidity is good. Does there have to be much ventilation with the new low off-gas latex paint, like can it be done with the windows closed?

anytime, I just painted the mud room, laundry room and pantry. smell not to bad, light was more of a concern.

I paint in any weather in the northeast. Just takes a little longer to dry on humid days. Use Ben Moore Regal paints. You will not be dissappointed.

I would avoid days that have a high RH. Not that common around you. I usually paint when I can open windows I have a sensitive nose.

I would avoid days that have a high RH. Not that common around you. I usually paint when I can open windows I have a sensitive nose.

yes you do
nose.jpg

Most houses get the most fresh air from leakage in the winter. If too stinky, crack a couple windows.

I paint in any weather in the northeast. Just takes a little longer to dry on humid days. Use Ben Moore Regal paints. You will not be dissappointed.
Ben Moore Aura.... Is magic.

Painting has become my March cabin fever activity - doing the finished half of the basement this year.

We did a bright orange accent wall with BM Regal, but we had to match other walls with cheap Ace Hardware paint - 2 years later, the accent wall is vibrant as ever but the cheap stuff has lost its lustre.

Benjamin Moore sounds great. I've never used it. It is genuinely good, not just hype? Saves time=fewer coats?

Benjamin Moore sounds great. I've never used it. It is genuinely good, not just hype? Saves time=fewer coats?
Yes it is i actually prefer regal to aura though regardless of price.

Most houses get the most fresh air from leakage in the winter. If too stinky, crack a couple windows.
I find that hard to believe unless you are talking about houses with central air How can a house closed up for the winter have more air exchange than a house with open windows in the summer?

yes, covers in one medium coat. I use it in business. It saves me time constantly.

Reactions: velvetfoot
I use a lot of Aura... Love it but it does take some getting used to. It dries so fast you have to relearn technique, especially brushing trim.

I still use 2 coats however... Unless you are doing a light color over another light and laying it down thick I haven't managed a good one coat finish. (keep in mind Im not a professional painter)

Last edited:
Painting should involve sanding, which means dust. Paint in the warmer months.

I find that hard to believe unless you are talking about houses with central air How can a house closed up for the winter have more air exchange than a house with open windows in the summer?

When the windows are open and the weather outside is mild, if there is no wind there can be very little air exchange.

Most older US houses have air exchange rates in the winter of 0.5-1.5 total air changes per hour due to stack effect, with the windows closed, or even higher when the wind is blowing.

When Im painting inside I prefer to do it with the windows open and a box fan in a window exhausting the specific room I am painting. Id rather not spread the smell all through the house. Call me sensitive but even low-VOC paints give me a headache after hours of work.

Sanding isnt always involved... if you are just re coating prior painted drywall you might not need to sand For new work, or to recoat glossy trim then yea. But if I am sanding then even more reason I want a strong exhaust fan going.

Sherwin Williams Emerald is also good stuff. They run 30/and 40% off sales a few times a year, good time to stock up. Covers well, very low odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.