When is it time to Remove Clay Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BronxMatt

Dec 5, 2021
Bronx, NY
Hi all,

I have an open masonry fireplace in my home and an 8x8 clay lined chimney. I’d like to put in an insert but I’m running up against the challenge of getting a 6-inch insulated liner installed. I’m currently considering a 5.5 inch.

I saw online the process for removing the clay liners in chimneys. It looked pretty simple but messy. My question is whether this is a recommended step in order to install a 6-inch insulated liner. What are the risks in this process and are there any regrets homeowners have down the line after taking this step?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have an open masonry fireplace in my home and an 8x8 clay lined chimney. I’d like to put in an insert but I’m running up against the challenge of getting a 6-inch insulated liner installed. I’m currently considering a 5.5 inch.

I saw online the process for removing the clay liners in chimneys. It looked pretty simple but messy. My question is whether this is a recommended step in order to install a 6-inch insulated liner. What are the risks in this process and are there any regrets homeowners have down the line after taking this step?

Thanks!
I would remove the clay in your case

I would remove the clay in your case
Re: regrets. What's the process to get back to a functional open fireplace, if that is later desired?

Re: regrets. What's the process to get back to a functional open fireplace, if that is later desired?
If it currently has 8x8 liners it's doubtful it works well now but you would pull the 7" liner and replace it with one that is appropriately sized and tie it into the smoke chamber

Reactions: Ashful
I will never go back to an open fireplace. Some inserts let you burn with the door open if you have a screen. But most people never will.

I will never go back to an open fireplace. Some inserts let you burn with the door open if you have a screen. But most people never will.
That is one of the few things I miss about my Jotul Firelight 12's, they came with a screen that permitted open-door burning, when you just wanted the ambience of some snap/crackle/pop. No such feature with my BK Ashfords.

Reactions: EbS-P
Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Sounds like the regret of removing the clay would only really be if I wanted to go back to an open fireplace. I highly doubt I’d ever do that.

What is the likelihood that a 6” insulated liner would fit once the clay liner is removed?

@bholler Im not sure what you meant when you wrote this:
If it currently has 8x8 liners it's doubtful it works well now but you would pull the 7" liner and replace it with one that is appropriately sized and tie it into the smoke chamber

Thanks again, everyone

Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Sounds like the regret of removing the clay would only really be if I wanted to go back to an open fireplace. I highly doubt I’d ever do that.

What is the likelihood that a 6” insulated liner would fit once the clay liner is removed?

@bholler Im not sure what you meant when you wrote this:

Thanks again, everyone
An 8x8 liner is rarely large enough for an open fireplace to work properly. And yes a 6" insulated liner will fit once the clay liner is out.

Some of the smaller inserts are listed to run on 5.5 in. liner.