When is the best time to buy pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are pellets still available?
Lots of them here in central PA. They're a little pricey-er than normal though! My favorite pellets are Barefoot brand, and the local hardware store just told me they're up to $319 per ton. I'm really glad I bought them over the summer for $260, which I thought was high at the time...

Even at $319 per ton, they're still a lot cheaper per BTU than oil.

Lots of them here in central PA. They're a little pricey-er than normal though! My favorite pellets are Barefoot brand, and the local hardware store just told me they're up to $319 per ton. I'm really glad I bought them over the summer for $260, which I thought was high at the time...

Oy, for $350 we can get GS Northeast - oh wait, in the past month they've gone up to $360 at the local Aubuchon's.

Aubuchons pellet price - up 10 from Nov.jpg

In our area TSC and Menards will run a sale on Somerset pellets in August. This year I got them for about $230/ton including tax

are the barefoots still ashy? burned them yrs ago...

We don’t really get much discounts here. End of season and they are always out. They never stock them in the summer. If I don’t buy enough it leaves me scrambling for other heat materials like horse bedding pellets or corn. I bought a ton of somersets a few weeks ago for $250 a ton. They’re $325 a ton this week. I should have bought more a few weeks ago.

Reactions: bogieb
are the barefoots still ashy? burned them yrs ago...
When I first got the stove I tried pellets from Tractor Supply, Lowe's, and Barefoot. Barefoot had the least amount of ash of the three. One year I bought a different brand (I can't remember the name) from a local feed store. Those pellets had way more ash, so I went back to Barefoot again.

Barefoot's facility is only about 40 miles from here, so I like that part of it too.

Reactions: bogieb
When I first got the stove I tried pellets from Tractor Supply, Lowe's, and Barefoot. Barefoot had the least amount of ash of the three. One year I bought a different brand (I can't remember the name) from a local feed store. Those pellets had way more ash, so I went back to Barefoot again.

Barefoot's facility is only about 40 miles from here, so I like that part of it too.
thanks for update..
30 minutes from buckspellets .. Joe carries them.. including the smaller bags.

Ooh, $20 off per ton. If I got 4 tons, that would almost pay for the delivery (last time it was $85 - guessing about the same now).

1707898461185.png

Ooh, $20 off per ton. If I got 4 tons, that would almost pay for the delivery (last time it was $85 - guessing about the same now).

View attachment 324714
yeah, i saw this in person and it was for Green Supreme
im going to buy one of those tons soon from HD or ACE lignetics perhaps
(both stores within 10 minutes from home)
- and 9 bags from craigslist for $40 green supreme
for mid grade pellets i might even try this Maine Woods from 30 min away delivered
they have some nice stuff at this place close to me

as well as 25 bags of Good and Sons from my friends farm
he has good and sons for $8.1 a bag if you buy over 10

Get the Wood and Sons if you can. They are very good compared to some of the others you mentioned.

Reactions: hinmo24t
Get the Wood and Sons if you can. They are very good compared to some of the others you mentioned.
8.1 per bag
What's cool though is our sf is at very bottom range of harman so can run it on room temp 65 or 70 or constant temp level 1, so we might actually not use a bag in 24 hrs and it'd be worthy to just run a ton or so of quality good and sons. At $400 a ton from friend maybe I'll make 3 trips over there or borrow dad's trailer

I run my P61A at stove/constant mode, lowest number one also with fan at half speed..
our 100 yr old house is not well insulate so no sooner does it get up to 74-75 it starts to cool down so room mode will be up/down off/up down etc... better for us to have 24/7 steady heat... bur mostly softwoods for the higher btu...

I run my P61A at stove/constant mode, lowest number one also with fan at half speed..
our 100 yr old house is not well insulate so no sooner does it get up to 74-75 it starts to cool down so room mode will be up/down off/up down etc... better for us to have 24/7 steady heat... bur mostly softwoods for the higher btu...
Ya I want to try that level 1 mid speed fan, good idea. Could always turn off auto ignite on room temp amd drop to maintenance burn minimum as an option I want to think about.
Hey does constant mode start on auto amd ignite then it'll just drop to maintenance burn or also switch to disable auto ignite for it after it starts constant burn? Thanks

Ya I want to try that level 1 mid speed fan, good idea. Could always turn off auto ignite on room temp amd drop to maintenance burn minimum as an option I want to think about.
Hey does constant mode start on auto amd ignite then it'll just drop to maintenance burn or also switch to disable auto ignite for it after it starts constant burn? Thanks
On constant/stove temp, with your stove on auto, the distribution fan will not kick on unless your heat control is set to 5 minimum. If you want to run your distribution fan below a setting of 5, you need to switch to manual.

Reactions: hinmo24t
On constant/stove temp, with your stove on auto, the distribution fan will not kick on unless your heat control is set to 5 minimum. If you want to run your distribution fan below a setting of 5, you need to switch to manual.
Cool, thanks. My unit panel theyre calling manual ignite disable now. Auto or disable

I think you have it backwards.....
constant/stove mode with switch UP will ignite pellets and fan will come on no matter how low u have it set. example: #1.
if you then drop the switch down to manual the dist fan will Not turn on at #5 or below and this is called Ambiance mode.
Flame with No Heat distributed... waste of pellets if u ask me just to have a roaring flame to look at.
the 1st example is how I run mine...stove/constant, switch up[auto] and set at lowest number.
fan Never goes off.

room manual as u mention[ switch down] will shut the fan off and pellets will just dribble a few here and there to keep flame alive but your sending any and all heat outside via your exhaust pipe sometimes for as long as 15 minutes... something to think about.
I never use room manual for this reason..

I think you have it backwards.....
constant/stove mode with switch UP will ignite pellets and fan will come on no matter how low u have it set. example: #1.
if you then drop the switch down to manual the dist fan will Not turn on at #5 or below and this is called Ambiance mode.
Flame with No Heat distributed... waste of pellets if u ask me just to have a roaring flame to look at.
the 1st example is how I run mine...stove/constant, switch up[auto] and set at lowest number.
fan Never goes off.
I stand corrected!!!