When to replace the Catalytic Combustor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchristo

Jun 16, 2009
Tuftonboro, NH
I bought a cabin 3 years ago and this is my first wood stove.
It's an Earthstove BV 4000C

I think its a safe to say the combustor has never been replaced.
I have no idea how much use the stove has had or if it was abused or not.
so my question is how do I know when its time to replace the combustor?

Thank you, this is good information. I'm not sure if it makes a differerence, but my stove is pre 1990 and all the documentation I've found states that it is either for the pre or post 1990 models.

this manual is for the BV4000C-2, which I believe is for post 1990.

From reading page 18, I'm sure that the same conditions would apply to all woodstoves with combustors so I think its applicable either way.

Like I said, I have no idea how much use it got, or if it was abused. Maybe I'll try the cleaning. It's probably never been done!

I read somewhere else that one method of cleaning is to get a roaring fire going and closing the bypass half way for about 30 mins to burn off any soot.

Take it out inspect and clean it with vacuume or soft brush. Also clean out the whole stove and check the welds and gaskets. Put it all back together, fire her up and see if she smokes or comes up to temp.

will do that this weekend.

I can't tell what the tempurature is in the stove because the Temp probe has been damaged/removed. The spring coil is still there but whatever the dial markings were have been removed for some reason.

I'm looking into purchasing a replacement, but don't want to buy the wrong parts or parts that I won't be able to install myself.

Thanks Todd,

I found some parts for my stove on WoodHeatStoves.com. they have the Combustor Temperature Probe for my stove, but it is $71 and I don't know if I will be able to figure out how to install it.

I'll give Condar a call tomorrow when they open. I had already found them when searching for replacement combustors in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.