When to Top Cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My stacks are in the woods. Even though the leaves aren't falling now, there are catkins falling and storms will generate debris that will fall on my stacks. I'm going to cover the tops of my new stacks soon to prevent any buildup. My year-old wood is already covered.

I sit wooden pallets on top of the stacks and then cover them with some old plastic signboard. The signboard is water proof but the open spaces on the pallet allow air flow on top of the stacks. It works well unless it gets windy if I dont attach the signs to the pallets.

For climate reference I am in sunny tropical (after this winter:) southern NH. I'm with BWS on this and agree non punky wood is not a sponge. I've measured wood moisture content before a rain and a week after and there's no change. I would cover anything you are going to burn in the near future (I have a small shed next to the house that holds a little over a cord for my ready to burn stuff) and I cover the tops and a foot down the sides with tarp during the time of year snow may fall figuring not much drying happens in winter anyway and that snow would also be a cover to trap and contribute moisture. Otherwise its open air for my stacks.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I recently got some pallets from our local lumber yard. They receive dimensional lumber by the traincar, and I've found that the stuff they cover the big pallets of 2x4's etc with makes excellent cover for my outdoor stacks. Free, unlimited supply & one side is even black to help capture some heat. I probably wouldn't bother to spend money on a tarp or shed to cover with since my area's generally fairly dry, but I couldn't pass up those free 'tarps.' I top-covered right after stacking, figured it couldn't hurt.
'

Good idea! Nice to see Shen Valley people on here ailanthus -I'm just gettin' started. Are ya close to Woodstock?

'

Good idea! Nice to see Shen Valley people on here ailanthus -I'm just gettin' started. Are ya close to Woodstock?

Front Royal here Welcome

Reactions: osagebow
I've found that the stuff they cover the big pallets of 2x4's etc with makes excellent cover for my outdoor stacks
That stuff lasts a long time, too...maybe longer than a tarp.

'

Greetings, Osagebow & Cptonleg! - I'm just north of Harrisonburg, so not too far. That is a sweet-looking bow in your profile picture, by the way - it's funny my son was just getting on me to make him a bow since I broke his last one. Anyway, enjoy the spring temperatures - I have a feeling it's gonna feel like guatemala around here pretty soon.

SDC10422.JPG I probably should cover this or it is going to get Too Dry To Burn, look it's splitting and cracking. Maybe by covering I can stop so much moisture from escaping
SDC10422.JPG

Reactions: gyrfalcon
[quote="cptoneleg, post: 1102970, member: I probably should cover this or it is going to get Too Dry To Burn, look it's splitting and cracking. Maybe by covering I can stop so much moisture from escaping[/quote]

I've still yet to see firewood that is too dry to burn. It won't matter if you cover or not, that won't get too dry.

[quote="cptoneleg, post: 1102970, member: I probably should cover this or it is going to get Too Dry To Burn, look it's splitting and cracking. Maybe by covering I can stop so much moisture from escaping

I've still yet to see firewood that is too dry to burn. It won't matter if you cover or not, that won't get too dry.[/quote]

I was just joking, the farmer where I got that B L last October said he knew that tree had been laying there 20 years, it was one of those times I brought home wood that would have burnt good the day I brought it home. but I didn't I had plenty of dry wood. So I just stacked it.

Black Locust is the only standing or laying dead tree that doesn't rot or get punky (very often) I c/s/s about 3 cords of that stuff.
Still Not Going To Cover

Reactions: gyrfalcon
cptoneleg, as ash to that list that doesn't rot. I've had some down for many years now and it is still good. We've had some lay right in water for a long time and it still doesn't hurt the wood although you can tell the difference. Still lasts a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.