when to use insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durantefarm

Jan 7, 2018
Ohio
simple question for you guys . I live in northeast ohio and this will be my first full seasons (fall and winter) with my insert. I have been stocking up on wood and getting it seasoned for close to a year and checking moisture every few months . that's all thanks to this group and helping me learn the correct ways to get the most out of my insert.

my next question is at what temps do u fire up the insert and when do u just let my furnace run. I have heard here in ohio that any temp under 40 use the insert and above use furnace. I have a two story 2100 sqft house and of course the first floor gets nice and warm with insert and the second level will get some heat also so its not bad. what temps do u guys/ladies use ? I look at my firewood as money and if im just using it every day then some days im actually wasting the fuel when its better to use furnace. thanks in advance and im sure I will get great info as usual .

Last edited by a moderator:
No one answer to this. How much wood do you have that’s ready to go?

Nice, so you don’t have to ration it or only save for the colder months. I’d search this site for “shoulder season” wood burning to help you learn to not cook yourself out of the house when doing october and April burning. Personally, lows have to be in mid 40 and highs in 50’s to even think about it for me. With this kind of scenario, I use firewood that’s split pretty small to shorten burn time. Can always add more but can’t remove it once it’s in stove. You really don’t need much with those of outdoor temps.

Which is why I love my Pellet Stove. It's been running about a week for lows
in 30's. Woodstove would not get used until end of Oct.

When my house is cold I burn, usually when its gets down to the 30s at night or if the high is below 45, no set rule though, play it by ear. I'd always rather burn wood than oil.

Shoulder season is always a rough call.

I watch the weather forecast, and usually fire off the PE when temps are between 40 - 45F. Depends on prjected forecast, humidity levels, etc.These conditions also determine what wood I'm using. Pine? Cherry? Uglies?

So many variables. You'll figure it out. ;)

That being said, I've had window AC's installed and have had to run the stoves, go figure :mad::p

Which is why I love my Pellet Stove. It's been running about a week for lows
in 30's. Woodstove would not get used until end of Oct.
That is how we use the heatpump. Electrons are cheaper than wood for us if you are buying both. If it's sunny the house warms up quickly in the morning from solar gain and holds the heat fairly well when temps outside are mild. We start burning when temps get down into the mid-40s consistently and it's cloudy all day. Usually that is late October here. This works out nicely as I prefer to burn 24/7 as much as possible once we start heating with wood.

Last edited:
simple question for you guys . I live in northeast ohio and this will be my first full seasons (fall and winter) with my insert. I have been stocking up on wood and getting it seasoned for close to a year and checking moisture every few months . that's all thanks to this group and helping me learn the correct ways to get the most out of my insert.

my next question is at what temps do u fire up the insert and when do u just let my furnace run. I have heard here in ohio that any temp under 40 use the insert and above use furnace. I have a two story 2100 sqft house and of course the first floor gets nice and warm with insert and the second level will get some heat also so its not bad. what temps do u guys/ladies use ? I look at my firewood as money and if im just using it every day then some days im actually wasting the fuel when its better to use furnace. thanks in advance and im sure I will get great info as usual .
This will be my third season burning with my insert. Over the last two years I started burning too early in the season and probably wasted good seasoned wood in fairly mild temps (40s to 50). I can't store too much wood in the yard so I am going to try this season to hold off on burning wood until it starts to get nice and cold (20s & 30s). I also realized that my heat pump is pretty efficient in the shoulder season so no problem running it.

I cringe at the thought of my heat turning on, so when it gets cold / chilly I burn, my angle is that ive worked way to hard gathering, splitting, storing ect.. just to see fossil fuel heat get turned on

I cringe at the thought of my heat turning on, so when it gets cold / chilly I burn, my angle is that ive worked way to hard gathering, splitting, storing ect.. just to see fossil fuel heat get turned on

I heat like Kenny. Plus, I want to be comfortably warm. And once the stove starts running my wife loves to keep feeding it. She doesn’t like being chilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my burning algorithm:

If FirefighterJake is cold, a fire is lit.

If Mrs. FirefighterJake is cold, a fire is lit.

If FirefighterJake is cold and lazy, the oil boiler is turned on for a bit.

If Mrs. FirefighterJake is cold and lazy, the oil boiler is turned on for a bit.

I leave my furnace on but at a slightly lower temp then I like. I think we leave it at 68 during the day and 65 during sleeping time. Then if me or my wife is cold I start the stove..... Seams to work for us. We have a lot of southern windows so the furnace rarely runs during the day unless its very cold and overcast, then the stove runs in the afternoon and evening.

If we wake up one morning and the wife decides it’s time to start burning, we start. I don’t like to start and stop, I find our house and insert work best together with 24/7 burning. That said, I have enough seasoned wood for 3 years ahead and am constantly cutting and splitting. Generally speaking, this ends up being around Halloween time. We are located in central OH, not far from you in Northeast, OH.

I haven’t paid for firewood in a while, but I can see why you’re balancing the use of the furnace and the splits.

I solved this dilemma by taking every bit of wood I could get my hands on, including lower btu wood like tulip poplar and hemlock, as well as wood that's beyond it's prime. Now, I have more than I could hope to use before I lose some to decay, and we burn any time the house is cool and damp. It's like a race to use it up. Only use the furnace when it's too cold for the stove to keep up.

Reactions: bholler