When to use the blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Just curious on everyone’s thought or use on the blower. We have one that came with our Regency epa stove. Last year I remember I was never really convinced it did a whole lot. So then I really never ran it. This year so far I’ve been using it early morning. When I wake up the temp in the house has dropped a bit from the long over night burn. I’ll load the stove and get it going, shut it down and then put the blower on high. Then take the dog for a hike. Come back an hour later and it’s jumped up 5 degrees. What I guess I’m noticing is I can get the house temp back up much quicker. I only see myself doing that in the morning. Do you have similar results with the blower?

I use mine pretty much all the time. Once the stove is up and running around 400 I will turn it on and then let it run until the stove cools and it shuts itself off. If the house starts getting too warm I will shut it off. I wish the blower was thermostatically controlled and adjustable. Like say instead of kicking on at around 250 stove temp....it could be set to low at 400, medium at 500 and high at 600 for example. That's what I do manually if I'm home. It definatlely helps in heating the house up faster for sure. It strengthens the convective loop.

Mine comes on automatically at about 300 degrees, and stays on until it drops to about 150. I Run the blower all the time. Never without it.

We only use the blower when it gets below freezing outside. Otherwise, natural convection does a good job to keep the house fairly evenly heated.

I used to use mine for the whole winter season, but I only use it on the coldest days of the year now. I run the stove 24x7. When the temps go below 50, I put my little TEGfan on top, and that is all I need for all but the coldest days.

I would use it more if I needed to do warm-up-the-house burns, but those are pretty much a thing of the past for me.

Reactions: huauqui
I use mine on my insert almost all the time. If we are watching a movie and the house is already warm I'll lower it to a point it almost shuts off. It stays on all night to get to my kids bedrooms in the back of the house.

Just curious on everyone’s thought or use on the blower. We have one that came with our Regency epa stove. Last year I remember I was never really convinced it did a whole lot. So then I really never ran it. This year so far I’ve been using it early morning. When I wake up the temp in the house has dropped a bit from the long over night burn. I’ll load the stove and get it going, shut it down and then put the blower on high. Then take the dog for a hike. Come back an hour later and it’s jumped up 5 degrees. What I guess I’m noticing is I can get the house temp back up much quicker. I only see myself doing that in the morning. Do you have similar results with the blower?
Ditto, we just got a Regency as well. I find the stove run pretty hot so I like the idea that the blower is on ( maybe mostly psychological for me). But it should do a good job with more evenly distributed the warm air. Do you have the Regency 2450?

I use mine on my insert almost all the time. If we are watching a movie and the house is already warm I'll lower it to a point it almost shuts off. It stays on all night to get to my kids bedrooms in the back of the house.
With our flush Jotul insert, if I don’t have blower on all the time, the stove top heads towards overfire temp in no time.

Hypothetical Question: When you run the blower, it reduces the temp of the stove top. Does that mean it also reduces the internal temp? And if so, does that mean you need to run the stove that much higher to compensate in order to maintain a clean burn? I guess that would be more applicable to a tube stove than a cat, since the cat only needs 500 deg for a clean burn.

I’m not an expert but I suspect that any difference would be so small, as to be negligible.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I used to use mine for the whole winter season, but I only use it on the coldest days of the year now. I run the stove 24x7. When the temps go below 50, I put my little TEGfan on top, and that is all I need for all but the coldest days.

I would use it more if I needed to do warm-up-the-house burns, but those are pretty much a thing of the past for me.
I only see myself doing it on the morning. Do you think the evo fan helps?

Ditto, we just got a Regency as well. I find the stove run pretty hot so I like the idea that the blower is on ( maybe mostly psychological for me). But it should do a good job with more evenly distributed the warm air. Do you have the Regency 2450?
We have the 2400. Love it! On some great wood this season and getting some long burns. The blower certainly gets the house temps up much faster. I nerded out and did a morning with then without the blower.

We have the 2400. Love it! On some great wood this season and getting some long burns. The blower certainly gets the house temps up much faster. I nerded out and did a morning with then without the blower.
Cool. I just had the 2450 installed, which I believe is the 2020 EPA version of the 2400, but essentially the same stove. We just had it put in at our camp. Very impressed so far. Feel free to PM or otherwise share your experience with this stove. I’d love to hear about it.

I only see myself doing it on the morning. Do you think the evo fan helps?

It's a significant difference in my case and probably would still be if the fan motor died. I have an insert with like 4" of stovetop sticking out. With all the surface area on the heat sink part of the fan, it probably doubles the stove's exposed steel surface area (wouldn't be the case for a freestander).

The little fan moves some air, too, but probably less than the blower on its lowest setting.

I think it has paid for itself in electric bills if nothing else... I went from using the blower for 8 months a year to using it a few days a year.

If you ever wanted a silent blower setting between off and low, tegfans are your boy.

When I want more heat in the room I run the stove hotter and use the blower. I keep it on low 90% of the time. Turn it up anytime my stove top approaches 600. I keep turning it up to keep stove top temps in check.

evan