Where do I place fan to move heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Looking for the best placement of a fan to move heat to the front of the house. In the picture from behind the EQ you can see in the distance the entrance for the kitchen. Past that is the foyer to the house. In this foyer are the stairs w/ open staircase and balcony upstairs. The second floor heads back towards the back of the house with our bedroom located right above family room. I have been using a fan located behind stove positioned on the floor just to the right of liitle door below fireplace. I blow air directly at the wood stove in the direction of the opening to the kitchen. Is there a better way to get the heat into the kitchen and foyer?

Attachments

• DSC03844.jpg
    DSC03844.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC03845.jpg
    DSC03845.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC03838.jpg
    DSC03838.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 296
Most people will recommend blowing the cold air from the cold area towards the stove. This will create negative pressure where your cool spot is that will be filled in by warm air.

pen

Yes, I've found blowing cold towards warm works best. Fan on low speed, near floor, blowing from the cold room towards stove, with a line of sight to the stove.
The open stairway will make it difficult distributing air downstairs. You may find all your warm air running across the ceiling, and then up the open stairwell.

Yep, try putting the fan temporarily on the floor, right where the blonde pooch is lying down. Point it to the stove and see how it works. It's a good idea to put a thermometer in the cool area to determine the degree of temp rise.

Yup move the cold air toward the furnace...then every bodies friend, Mother Nature, will come up with some type of convection current and make things happen. I recommend a good floor fan only cause it works well for us keeping our cold kitchen a few degree's warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.