Where does air flow into an englandstove 13?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carinya

Hearth Supporter
May 26, 2009
ohio
I was trying to figure out the airflow in my new stove & dug this up from a thread about airflow in the englandstove 30's

[quote author="stoveguy2esw" date="1228373187"]you guys are awfully close to correct,

primary air comes in through the "camera box" in the back where the OAK would be connected, and follows that channel to the front , splits ,and wraps around the door opening and comes out at the top of the door opening. this air is your airwash air,

secondary air enters through another opening above this (rectangular) and travels the manifold and through the air tubes in the top below the baffle board.
third stage air (or zipper as i call it) comes into the channel below the doghouse (or zipper)right through the floor of the firebox, these 2 small openings are quite hard to find but are there,

the way the air balance settles, with the primary open (draft control out) the amount of air favors the primary and reduces a bit in the second and third stage air, as the primary is closed (remember the flue is still pulling the same amount of air) the balance shifts more toward the secondaries and third stage air , that is why the zipper and the secondaries become so active once into the long burn.[/quote]

Unless Mike drops in & says otherwise I assume it's the same for little brother 13's.

With all the talk about secondary air it was interesting to find out about tertiary air. Also, that some have concluded that they prefer to eliminate the third stage source in order to maintain some control over the burn process.

I've put a magnet over one of the doghouse holes inside the firebox (my stove is on a pedestal & I don't think I can get access to the external air holes) and am experimenting with that restriction

The inlets are located in the same places for both the 13 and the 30.

BB, I dredged up some location info you gave

BrotherBart said:
Primary air comes into the firebox from the opening over the top of the door glass. Secondary air come through the manifolds on the top of each side of the firebox and through the tubes at the top. "Zipper" air comes from two holes behind the front legs to the so call "doghouse" that sticks up in the front of the firebox.

Any other holes are unplanned leaks. :coolsmirk:

I have stood on my head :roll: , used a mirror and flashlight & come to the conclusion that the zipper external holes are not accessible with the pedestal attached :-S

Guess I'll have to wait 'til post season to gain access.

carinya said:
BB, I dredged up some location info you gave

BrotherBart said:
Primary air comes into the firebox from the opening over the top of the door glass. Secondary air come through the manifolds on the top of each side of the firebox and through the tubes at the top. "Zipper" air comes from two holes behind the front legs to the so call "doghouse" that sticks up in the front of the firebox.

Any other holes are unplanned leaks. :coolsmirk:

I have stood on my head :roll: , used a mirror and flashlight & come to the conclusion that the zipper external holes are not accessible with the pedestal attached :-S

Guess I'll have to wait 'til post season to gain access.

Wood stoves shouldn't stand on pedestals. Wood stoves should stand on legs, like God intended them to. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Wood stoves shouldn't stand on pedestals. Wood stoves should stand on legs, like God intended them to. :lol:

....but my wife....

carinya said:
BrotherBart said:

....but my wife....

Nuff said. :)

carinya said:
I've put a magnet over one of the doghouse holes inside the firebox

Well, that experiment didn't last long :-S

Tonight I discovered the Curie effect........my magnet is no longer a magnet

carinya said:
carinya said:
I've put a magnet over one of the doghouse holes inside the firebox

Well, that experiment didn't last long :-S

Tonight I discovered the Curie effect........my magnet is no longer a magnet

No surprise there. What do you mean one of the doghouse holes? There is only one in the firebox. If you are gonna do that put a bolt in the hole.

Forget it folks. Everybody tries to ad-lib and then says it doesn't work.

BrotherBart said:
[ What do you mean one of the doghouse holes? There is only one in the firebox.

Apparently the 13 is more hi-tech than the 30.....

One doghouse, two air outlet holes in it

BrotherBart said:
If you are gonna do that put a bolt in the hole.

Thanks for the advice. Collective wisdom of the heartheren is great for us challenged stovers :)

Bolts are in the holes. Wood is burning normally rather than appearing as if an oxyacetylene torch is cutting it in half.

What role is the zipper supposed to play - cut an air channel to the rear of the firebox ?

Most likely the zipper is there to prevent to user from dialing down the air too far and to score good numbers on the epa test. I did mines at the beginning of the season and a can get consistent 8 hour burns out of the 13 (clean and smokeless of course). How is your burntime now? More coals at the end but that's no problem for me because the house insulation is decent so I can stretch the burn a little further.

the 13 doghouse does have 2 openings where the 30 has one , pretty similar other than that, actually the stoves burn pretty well with the wrong dogbox in it as well just not quite optimal.

and yes as BB ststed the air setups for intakes are pretty durn close to identical between the two models and yes its near impossible to see the third stage air inlets with the pedestal installed

Status
Not open for further replies.