Where have all the manual transmissions gone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza

Reactions: iamlucky13
...if you can't even find a 1/2 ton pickup with a manual, then I have to expect finding a passenger car with a manual will be nearly impossible. Not to mention, I occasionally consider getting a pickup.
If buying a 1/2 ton pickup, you will find three pages of paint options, interior options, dual zone climate control options... but very few options on drivetrain. Trouble is, they've become more fashion statement than truck.

I see dually 350 SuperDuty trucks every day, that do less work than my old 1/2 ton, with pristine beds penetrated by wanna-be big-rig smoke stacks. The manufacturers are only serving their perception of market desires. Most Americans don't use their trucks for work today, they use them to drive to their fantasy football meetings.

On cars... I was blown away that Audi could not sell me an A4 Quattro wagon with a manual trans. The dealer's response, "most American's don't want manual, so Audi doesn't offer many manual configurations." My response, "True, most American's don't want manual, but they buy Buick and Nissan. However, those shopping Audi likely do want manual." The dealer seemed to agree with that sentiment, but then again, I was the customer with cash in hand... he'd have probably agreed with anything I said.

...My response, "True, most American's don't want manual, but they buy Buick and Nissan. However, those shopping Audi likely do want manual." The dealer seemed to agree with that sentiment, but then again, I was the customer with cash in hand... he'd have probably agreed with anything I said.

Oddly enough, even Buick offers a stick... 2015 Buick Regal.

Reactions: Ashful
Not that I'm considering a new car, but I was very disappointed to hear when Subaru discontinued the manual transmission option on the 2015 Legacy, then especially the Outback. I really thought they'd hold out. Almost surprised that the new Forester is available with a manual ...for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.