Where to begin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WB_EES

Mar 4, 2019
Michigan
Hello all, new to the forum...

After moving into an older home we had a sweep check out the fireplace. I suspected issues after cleaning out the ash dump. Anything and everything was burned in the fireplace. With the camera check it shows that there are repairs that would be needed. Since the repairs would provide us with a good working but non-efficient fireplace we are looking into something that is a little more efficient.

We have a furnace so the fireplace is not the main source of heat, however it would be nice to use it more with use it may help with the gas bill. Still a "new be" however starting to learn a little in using an older cast iron stove up in a cabin, Fisher "Grandma bear"... First time using found out fast that that thing can heat the cabin up quick... We can load it up and close off the incoming air to burn slowly however it requires us to get up several times during the night to keep the fire lit till morning. Dry wood works better than wet wood ;)

For our home at this point it is more of being able to use the fireplace since the home has a fireplace.

We do like the look of having the wood stove sitting in the original fireplace and onto the hearth. We have still not decided on cat or non however before making that decision we want to get a better understanding on clearances. It is possible that this may dictate our choices should we want to move to a wood stove.

I can provide dimensions and a quick pic as to what we have now and am seeking direction on basic sizing (to accommodate the space available in the current fireplace opening)
We are investigating on two completely different models.
Blaze King Ashford & Jotul Model.

I will continue reading however if you can give some insight on clearances. Basically I would be looking at clearance for a protected wall? Do the clearances relate more to the way air is brought in & circulated rather than burning since the walls are firebrick and received direct flame as an operating fireplace.

Firebox
Height is 33”
Front opening width 35” taper at rear to down 28 1/4”
Depth at bottom of 18”
Top is 14” due to taper
Hearth is 2” high and 18” deep and extends beyond the width of the fireplace.
at very bottom from back wall of firebox to front of hearth is 40”

Damper is already damaged (based on Chimney sweeps inspection)
Photo is earlier before Hearth was finished...

Thank you,

-Ed

fireplace2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the mantel and supporting columns are combustible that's what needs to be measured to. An insert will be an easier install, many stove require 84" to combustibles above (typically the ceiling). The Ashford is an exception with a 37" above the stove requirement. Its side clearance requirement is 10.75". A mantel shield would help, but there are no tested specs for that listed in the documentation.

Yes the mantle is wood... I guess if we decided on a stove and if necessary the mantle is easily removed. We will hire someone for the install so just trying to do some due diligence. Prior to meeting with anyone.

"many stove require 84" to combustibles"

With an 8' ceiling that may limit or dictate the direction. Gives me a couple of clearances to look into.

Thank you

Last edited:
Some stoves consider fireplace hearth installations in their specifications. You may get an ok to go ahead with a mantel shield from some stove mfgs. to reduce the above mantel clearance. The shield will be necessary for protecting the TV too. For example the Quadrafire Explorer II & III cover this kind of installation. So do the Hampton 300 and Jotul F55.

Quad Explorer III
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 2.37.32 PM.png
Jotul F55
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 2.41.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Two additional questions that need to be considered.
  • What repairs were mentioned?
  • What are the flue dimensions of the fireplace?
Good to know flue dimensions so as to determine if it can be lined properly for a stove or insert. Your sweep may have covered this with you already, but a good sanity check.

a Yooper under the bridge...

I'll have to go back and look over the paper work to respond...
Memory is good, just short.

Thanks...