Where to buy hearth stones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yalo

Jan 26, 2016
Wisconsin
I'm looking to build a hearth kind of like the one shown in the hearth construction thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/woodstove-hearth-construction.147784/

goUkJn4AdXk_f16I16sr0sNDGNLuUtRxsAMRmlZ3qlx4L9wSxuZll0EvTT9L7iQDe6vIXG8HMgp6CrafKZhxiOBrPlARuGI6.jpg

On the "floor" of the hearth I'd like to use stones like what are in this example -- they look like they are perhaps 2" thick and overhang the bottom part of the hearth where it is raised (instead of using tile like is sometimes done).

My question is -- where do I buy these stones that the stove is sitting on? Are those just patio stones that are made for outdoor use and can be purchased for a few dollars? Or are these a different type of "hearth" specific stone that are more specialty? Thanks.

From the pic it looks like that fake stone which is a concrete product sold at masonry distributors. I'm sure a lowes or Home Depot might have them, but I would look into a masonry supply store. They would definitely have these hearth pieces.

Looks like plain old concrete pavers to me available at local home improvement box store.

A mason yard will have plenty of natural and man made stones, many different colors, sizes, thickness. What you need to do if building this on a combustible floor is figure your hearth r - rating (they are specific to each stove) that will determine you minimum thickness. If you have trouble determining what you need, ask the question here, there are many professionals and fanatic's on this site that can help out. Safety is paramount when doing any type of install.

A local stone yard will also provide a variety of choices and samples for you to look at. Sometimes these are separate from the masonry yards as they also supply landscapers.

I used them too. They are called hearthstones and are not regular pavers from home depot. 20-30$ each. Manmade. Choice of colors. Color is integral, not a coating, edges are hammered or chiseled looking. Concrete based product.

Mine came from mutual materials, a masonry supply company.

This is very similar the what my wife and I modeled our hearth after.

image_zps0sni9zpa.jpe image_zpsjudnu4xd.jpe

The stone on the wall is a cultured veneer stone that was super easy to work with. Well the stone under the stove is solid 12x13 blue gray lime stone pavers. We got both at a local stone/landscape wholesale center.

Here are mine.

IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0991.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a porcelain tile that looks like slate for the base and then used real slate (color "carbon") for the backdrop. I used limestone with a hammered finish for the mantel. I wanted tile for the base because it is non-porous and would not stain no matter what. Man-made materials have their place.

These pics don't do it justice..kinda washed out looking.

20151106_200009.jpg 20151107_194718.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of grout would a person use with these stones? And if you had tight fitting stones with durock underneath would grout even be necessary?

What kind of grout would a person use with these stones? And if you had tight fitting stones with durock underneath would grout even be necessary?
They used regular brick mortar on the heart stones and thin set on the face stones to give it the dry stacked look.

Reactions: Ash
Status
Not open for further replies.