Where to buy pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
1. I live in CT, besides lowes, where else can I buy pellets?
2. Do pellets go bad if not used?(besides getting wet)
3. Are there different types of pellets better than others?

Many different brands and compositions of pellets. If the pellets are kept dry should be no issue with long term storage.

1. Home Depots, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Walmart, nurseries and garden centers and some hardware stores, like Aubuchon, Agways, stove shops, etc.

2. If kept dry, they don't "go bad." If you store outside, try to have a double pallet underneath and cover with a tarp. Some pellet companies wrap better than others.

3. There are softwoods, hardwoods and blends of both. All produce heat and all produce ash in varying quantities. Much is dependent on your particular stove so buy small lots of different types and see what works for you. There is no best pellet.

Last edited:
I go to B.T. Pellets. Bristol and Suffield locations, not the cheapest place to go but it's right around the corner from me and they always treat me right.

I go to B.T. Pellets. Bristol and Suffield locations, not the cheapest place to go but it's right around the corner from me and they always treat me right.
I haven't bought there in years, too far away. When I did in the past, they had a great selection and fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.