1. FlameBoiled

FlameBoiled
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 23, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Hey!

I've got a Kedel Blackstar boiler I've been running for a few years now, and really like it. I had a couple of spare igniters that the tech left after he installed it, and I've changed them as they've burned out. Well, I installed my last one this evening. I figured it would be easy to google them and figure out where to order more, but no luck. Anyone have a line on where to get igniters for this unit?

Thanks!

2. Trout

Trout
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Southern MaineAxe
    Try Revision Heat in Portland Maine - 207-370-2690. They are the distributors for Kedel boilers in the US!

FlameBoiled likes this.
  3. dmq400

dmq400
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Belmont, Vermont
    We also have the same Kedel in Vt installed by HB energy in Springfield Vt. Not so sure about it anymore. Right now waiting for parts from Revision energy and frankly....they have been horrible. My understanding is they are barely surviving due to cheap oil and limited sales. Phone calls go unanswered and not returned. My latest issue is that one morning after it not starting and overriding the auger to get pellets down...the motor caught fire. Probably good thing the rubber grommet where the wires go into the motor caught fire first as the stink was what keyed us off that there was something wrong. AND btw this is the 2nd time it has been on fire. This is the third season for ours and surprised you have had no issues. Who installed and services yours?

FlameBoiled likes this.
  4. FlameBoiled

FlameBoiled
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 23, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Mine was done by Heating and More in Cabot - now Lloyd Plumbing.

I certainly haven't had any catastrophic issues (thankfully) but early on the feed auger (the small one in the burner housing) died. If I recall that happened within a couple weeks of installation. Other than that, it's been igniters that have been the only weak point in the system. I think we're on our fourth igniter replacement and this is our third season running it. Somewhat annoying - but at least it's a fix I can do myself if I've got the parts.

I know that Kedel started importing a 110v model to the US, and I've got one of the original 220v systems. That may be a difference, as well.

And thanks to Trout for the tip on calling Revision. Hopefully they'll be responsive. If not I'll bug Lloyd heating for it. I was really hoping that it would be a common part I could just order from an online storefront, but oh well.

5. dmq400

dmq400
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Belmont, Vermont
    Surprised you are not aware of Revision who is the US importer/distributer of the Kedel. I had lots of discussion directly with them before buying this and having it installed by a new local dealer. They seem to be in trouble and understand they are down to 2 people. My parts took almost a month to get as I assume they stock next to nothing now. You were not around when the install was done? Factory guy was here (now gone) who oversaw the installation here. And who was remote monitoring all the Kedels and who was doing direct notification if he saw something wrong with it via the software (part of the selling point). Yours not connected to a wi-fi link? Are you doing the regular cleaning as necessary during the season? I believe that was the reason for the fire here....me not putting in the pellet grate properly. P.O'd that aspect was never spelled out to me in the beginning and only now see it via utube. Igniters do have a limited life span...so I am told but have only replaced them once a yr. Perhaps your boiler turns off and on more frequently than mine (also a 220v btw) and thus the life span difference. Going to be a BIG issue if Revision goes out of biz... Dan

6. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2011
    Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    Look for "heating cartridge" on McMasterCarr
    You will need to make some sort of a housing for it that fits into your boiler; compression fittings may be the way to go

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2011
    Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dmq400

dmq400
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Belmont, Vermont
  9. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2011
    Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    my understanding by talking to OpOp 2 years ago at a show in Germany is that the first Kedel-model boilers were some sort of an OEM or private label deal

The RTB-model or second generation Kedel boiler (Ready-To-Burn) is/was manufactured at NBE in Denmark

10. jkemouse

jkemouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 30, 2017
    Loc:
    Lancaster, PA
    I just learned about a company that may be a source for parts and support. They are still selling the Blackstar which is the same build as the non-RTB Kedel's. The company is at http://otto-sohn.com/product/pellet-boiler-opop-black-star-comfort-10-kw/ . I have not dealt with them yet, so I would appreciate any word on the experience if someone goes to them before I get there.