Where to get igniters for a Kedel Blackstar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FlameBoiled

Jan 23, 2018
Vermont
Hey!

I've got a Kedel Blackstar boiler I've been running for a few years now, and really like it. I had a couple of spare igniters that the tech left after he installed it, and I've changed them as they've burned out. Well, I installed my last one this evening. I figured it would be easy to google them and figure out where to order more, but no luck. Anyone have a line on where to get igniters for this unit?

Thanks!

Hey!

I've got a Kedel Blackstar boiler I've been running for a few years now, and really like it. I had a couple of spare igniters that the tech left after he installed it, and I've changed them as they've burned out. Well, I installed my last one this evening. I figured it would be easy to google them and figure out where to order more, but no luck. Anyone have a line on where to get igniters for this unit?

Thanks!

Try Revision Heat in Portland Maine - 207-370-2690. They are the distributors for Kedel boilers in the US!

Reactions: FlameBoiled
Try Revision Heat in Portland Maine - 207-370-2690. They are the distributors for Kedel boilers in the US!

We also have the same Kedel in Vt installed by HB energy in Springfield Vt. Not so sure about it anymore. Right now waiting for parts from Revision energy and frankly....they have been horrible. My understanding is they are barely surviving due to cheap oil and limited sales. Phone calls go unanswered and not returned. My latest issue is that one morning after it not starting and overriding the auger to get pellets down...the motor caught fire. Probably good thing the rubber grommet where the wires go into the motor caught fire first as the stink was what keyed us off that there was something wrong. AND btw this is the 2nd time it has been on fire. This is the third season for ours and surprised you have had no issues. Who installed and services yours?

Reactions: FlameBoiled
We also have the same Kedel in Vt installed by HB energy in Springfield Vt. Not so sure about it anymore. Right now waiting for parts from Revision energy and frankly....they have been horrible. My understanding is they are barely surviving due to cheap oil and limited sales. Phone calls go unanswered and not returned. My latest issue is that one morning after it not starting and overriding the auger to get pellets down...the motor caught fire. Probably good thing the rubber grommet where the wires go into the motor caught fire first as the stink was what keyed us off that there was something wrong. AND btw this is the 2nd time it has been on fire. This is the third season for ours and surprised you have had no issues. Who installed and services yours?

Mine was done by Heating and More in Cabot - now Lloyd Plumbing.

I certainly haven't had any catastrophic issues (thankfully) but early on the feed auger (the small one in the burner housing) died. If I recall that happened within a couple weeks of installation. Other than that, it's been igniters that have been the only weak point in the system. I think we're on our fourth igniter replacement and this is our third season running it. Somewhat annoying - but at least it's a fix I can do myself if I've got the parts.

I know that Kedel started importing a 110v model to the US, and I've got one of the original 220v systems. That may be a difference, as well.

And thanks to Trout for the tip on calling Revision. Hopefully they'll be responsive. If not I'll bug Lloyd heating for it. I was really hoping that it would be a common part I could just order from an online storefront, but oh well.

Mine was done by Heating and More in Cabot - now Lloyd Plumbing.

I certainly haven't had any catastrophic issues (thankfully) but early on the feed auger (the small one in the burner housing) died. If I recall that happened within a couple weeks of installation. Other than that, it's been igniters that have been the only weak point in the system. I think we're on our fourth igniter replacement and this is our third season running it. Somewhat annoying - but at least it's a fix I can do myself if I've got the parts.

I know that Kedel started importing a 110v model to the US, and I've got one of the original 220v systems. That may be a difference, as well.

And thanks to Trout for the tip on calling Revision. Hopefully they'll be responsive. If not I'll bug Lloyd heating for it. I was really hoping that it would be a common part I could just order from an online storefront, but oh well.

Surprised you are not aware of Revision who is the US importer/distributer of the Kedel. I had lots of discussion directly with them before buying this and having it installed by a new local dealer. They seem to be in trouble and understand they are down to 2 people. My parts took almost a month to get as I assume they stock next to nothing now. You were not around when the install was done? Factory guy was here (now gone) who oversaw the installation here. And who was remote monitoring all the Kedels and who was doing direct notification if he saw something wrong with it via the software (part of the selling point). Yours not connected to a wi-fi link? Are you doing the regular cleaning as necessary during the season? I believe that was the reason for the fire here....me not putting in the pellet grate properly. P.O'd that aspect was never spelled out to me in the beginning and only now see it via utube. Igniters do have a limited life span...so I am told but have only replaced them once a yr. Perhaps your boiler turns off and on more frequently than mine (also a 220v btw) and thus the life span difference. Going to be a BIG issue if Revision goes out of biz... Dan

Look for "heating cartridge" on McMasterCarr
You will need to make some sort of a housing for it that fits into your boiler; compression fittings may be the way to go

Last edited:
my understanding by talking to OpOp 2 years ago at a show in Germany is that the first Kedel-model boilers were some sort of an OEM or private label deal

The RTB-model or second generation Kedel boiler (Ready-To-Burn) is/was manufactured at NBE in Denmark

New Horizons is actually also carrying Blackstar
http://www.newhorizoncorp.com/products/pellet-boilers-2/nhc-pellet-boilers/

Call Zenon

Blackstar is the original Kedel made by OpOp in the Czech Republic
http://www.opop.cz/
Hey!

Thanks!
This may not help but I have a Kedel RTB-102 and had an igniter burn out and my installer had a spare and got me another through Revision, which took a few days. I decided to open the spare and it had a part number stamped on it so I googled that and found the same size and similar design on ebay for $16 delivered. I ordered it and pulled the expensive one (which has been working fine for a year) and so far the $16 unit has been working for a week. Not an exhaustive test but I will keep it in until it fails and report back. My igniter was 3/8" diameter by 4 " long. It is 275 watts at 120 volts. Here is the link for 2 at $31.
Austroflamm IGNITER Ignitor Starter Element Integra Wega 109058, PH-CI4 - 2PK!

I have had the boiler since July 2015. As far as issues with the Kedel boiler I had a pellet somehow get into the blower and jam it. Luckily I found that before it burned out the motor but it was right after that when the igniter failed. The igniter was covered under warranty. I have had it cleaned annually by the installer. A few weeks ago the day before they were scheduled to clean it I smelled smoke and found that the unit had an over temp on the drop shaft alarm. It turns out that despite being cleaned 11 months ago the heat exchanger was completely blocked with ash. I am not sure if the pellets I was using had too much ash but it was blocked and soot was blowing back through cuts in the burner gasket that never had a problem before. As part of cleaning the boiler they replaced the burner gasket. I will pull the top of the boiler and see how much ash has built up in a month to see if I have a problem. As an FYI the warning sign but didn't understand at the time was that the photo sensor was extremely erratic leading up to the boiler plugging with ash.

I really like the Kedel especially the ability for me to monitor it on line but I am concerned that the US importer may not be as responsive as we need.