Where to measure temp on Regency HI300 (insert)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scottgcole

Oct 30, 2022
Boston, MA
Since my Regency HI300 is an insert I'm not really sure where I should be measuring the temperature, in particular to make sure I'm not over-firing. I use an IR heat gun. There's about 6" of "stove top" that extends out from the top of the stove, this is usually around 300 degrees when I'm up to speed, but I can't imaging this part of the stove has enough contact with the firebox to be a valid place to measure temps. I can also shoot inside the stove and measure the temp on the firebrick sides, but again, I'm not sure if that's the temp I should be looking for in terms of not over-firing.

Any advice/recommendations are welcome!

That's a beautiful insert. It's a challenge to get a good reading on this stove because the insert's top is not the inner stovetop, it is a convective lid sitting above the actual stovetop. If you can get a reading to the stovetop through the slots at the top of the door, that would be the most accurate. Otherwise, just read the temperature on the door, above the stove glass.

That's a beautiful insert. It's a challenge to get a good reading on this stove because the insert's top is not the inner stovetop, it is a convective lid sitting above the actual stovetop. If you can get a reading to the stovetop through the slots at the top of the door, that would be the most accurate. Otherwise, just read the temperature on the door, above the stove glass.
Any advice on what temps I should be looking for either through the vent or just on the top of the door to make sure I'm not over-firing? Most temps I see are referring a temp on the flue pipe which obviously I can't do :)

If you can get a reading off of the stove top front through the vent slot, then around 650-700º is probably the highest reading.