Where to Place Doorway Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bales9er

Sep 6, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased a small doorway fan to try and move heat from one room to another and it just doesn't work. So, in an attempt to put it to good use, I am looking for advice on where to install it to maximize the heat rising up my staircase from the basement. If you look at my diagram, my thought is to install it in the basement under the floor register closest to the stove so it acts as a better cold air return. I also wondered if I should install it in the same spot but reverse the flow to suck the warm air up. Seems as though most people on here agree that bringing more cold air to the stove is better. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 103
Before I got my second pellet stove, I was trying to do the same as you. I got a couple of Suncourt register fans and placed them on top of registers, blowing the warm air up. Had a corner fan under the register closest to the stove blowing warm air up. And had a corner fan under a register to blow cold air down (plus an open register that cold air could return naturally). Yes, I cut 5 holes in my floors (actually 6 - but one got covered up).

I had limited success with my basement being 80 and my living floor being somewhere in the 60's (depended on the weather outside just where in the 60's). On really cold days, living area would be at 59 and bedrooms in 40's unless I turned on my propane heater.

As much as I love my Harman, if I had known then what I know now, I would not have let the salesperson talk me out of buying 2 smaller stoves (one for each level) as the heat doesn't rise in my small house and no amount of fans managed to get the air to move from the 650 s/f basement to the 950 s/f upstairs no matter that the Harman is capable of heating twice the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.