Where to position an 8 inch cast iron chimney damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodyElf

Dec 18, 2007
Canada
I need to reduce my chimney up draft, so I am about to install an 8 inch cast iron chimney damper in my single wall 8 inch stove pipe. My vertical stove pipe height is 44 inches before it turns at 90 degrees into the wall. Does anyone know the optimal height to position the damper in the vertical run?

Thanks for any opinions.

That is a good question - I don't know that I can offer a scientific answer, but I doubt that within a 44" run of pipe, it would make much difference. I would simply look at placing it where it is aesthetically pleasing, easy to install and reach.

Most damper I have seen have been located a couple of feet above the stove which usually works out to a comfortable 'chest high' access.

I have never been convinced that it makes any difference where a flue damper is placed. I finally put one in the pipe for my basement stove that has hellacious draft yesterday. Because of pipe configuration constraints I put it in the horizontal run right before the wall thimble. Blocking draft is blocking draft no matter where in the pipe it is as far as I am concerned.

Conventional wisdom is to put it in the vertical run 18 or so inches above the stove. Where that came from I have no idea. Probably so it is easy to reach when you are squatted down and open the door and forgot to open the damper. :red: I used a Simpson damper section in the pipe so that I don't have to mess with taking a damper out of the main pipe run every time to brush it.

Hey BB, nice to see you back. But what happened while you were away? Brainwave neutralization therapy? Where's that singular wit of yours? Maybe you're just out of practice and it will all come back in a few posts.

precaud said:
Hey BB, nice to see you back. But what happened while you were away? Brainwave neutralization therapy? Where's that singular wit of yours? Maybe you're just out of practice and it will all come back in a few posts.

I'm just bummed. Me and McCain suspended activities to solve the financial crisis and it didn't work.

I am lobbying Congress now to allow sub-prime loans and futures trading for firewood.

I'm just bummed. Me and McCain suspended activities to solve the financial crisis and it didn't work.
Don't take it too hard. The Senate just passed the "fix" the markets said they wanted, and the futures have been heading down ever since.

I am lobbying Congress now to allow sub-prime loans and futures trading for firewood.

Firewood - the next commodities bubble!

This is interesting....I'm having 5 guys come over tonight to help me get my hotbox in my cellar tonight....(I gotta feed them a steak and beer)....I haven't installed the chimney yet, but are you guys saying that I would reclaim a lot of heat if I install a damper...I'm putting an Englander in and the chimney will be a straight shot except for two 30 degree elbows....Is it any easier to put one of these in now or just as easy after everythings done?

I used a Simpson damper section in the pipe so that I don’t have to mess with taking a damper out of the main pipe run every time to brush it.

BB I am about to install my antique stove with a damper in the flue pipe. I was wondering if I was going to have to take the whole damper and pipe apart every time I clean it. Your statement made me curious. What is a Simpson damper section? Does this have anything to do with Bart Simpson? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.