Where to put a pellet stove? (floor plan attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsCold

Nov 20, 2013
Northern New England
Hi,

Great Forum. Already learned so much from you guys!

Maybe you can help my figuring this out. I have three bedrooms and one bathrooms downstairs on a concrete slab. I tried to attach the floor plan as a png or pdf file but both failed. So I uploaded it on imgur.
http://imgur.com/fAUn63U

I am wondering if I can install a pellet stove anywhere downstairs? That way I could not only heat my bedrooms to a certain degree (I know it's harder since doors tend to be closed) but also the rising heat would take care of my upstairs (where I am in addition running a wood stove).

I know of the rule "No solid fuel burning heat source" in a bedroom so that eliminates the master and kids room. The office is currently just that. A desk for me, no more.

I am open to suggestions and feedback whether or not that is feasible :)

Thank You!

Tough one. The only common area is the hallway.

Living Room, Dining Room and kitchen are upstairs so they are kind of out of the picture.

So far, I've only heard either the end of the hallway between office and kids room, or take out the pantry between the office and the master bedroom.

I am also thinking of putting it into the office with ceiling ducts leading into the other rooms. That way, I don't have to worry about venting the stove since it can be installed at an exterior wall and I can move the air between rooms via cut out ceiling ducts.

Things to consider--

If you are ever going to sell the house, a stove in a bedroom will probably need to be removed before a new owner can take title.
And then there's all the patching of holes....

And as far as vents are concerned, they are a fire/building code violation in most locales and generally unsafe to have without the type that has auto close on fire sensory.

The real question is-- why did you put a wood stove on the top floor? IMO, I'd move that down stairs and put a pellet in it's place upstairs.

The stove was on the top floor when I bought the house. If it'd be up to me, I'd put in a central heating system based on propane but that is going to run me about 15k.

Hence, I am looking for ways to heat downstairs better. I agree with you that it is by far not the best solution to put a stove downstairs with that layout. Nothing will be perfect in this situation. However, I think that a pellet stove downstairs will in the end still be better than the electric baseboard I have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.