Where's the best place to shoot an old buck stove with an IR laser

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowin smoke

Dec 16, 2013
Gibsonburg ohio
Been taking everyone's advice here and just got an IR laser thermometer ( I think that's what it's called). Where would be the best place to shoot it at on an old buck insert and what temp should I look for?

I would think right at the base of the flue (if visible). Need to know what type/format of stove you have to really give good advise.

I would think right at the base of the flue (if visible). Need to know what type/format of stove you have to really give good advise.
Agreed, right in front of the flue adapter is the hottest spot on my old Buck.

450F on top is cruising temp for me, although the top can get close to 700 at times, but only when I let it.

On the front, I'd say right above the doors, under the hood. At that spot, I'd shoot for about 450F max on my stove.

On the front, I'd say right above the doors, under the hood. At that spot, I'd shoot for about 450F max on my stove.
Awesome. Thanks SO MUCH. I really appreciate the help. Now im just trying to get to where there is no smoke coming out of the chimney like I have been reading you're supposed to do .. Oh when will it ever end. Lol.

if its an "old" buck insert and without a cat, you might not be able to get rid of all the smoke, depending on how old it is. I'd concentrate on burning dry wood (seasoned, not cut and split and burnt the same year) and follow your temps. the rest should take care of itself. wouldn't hurt to get up and check the chimney after a couple of weeks of burning just to see how its doing and give it a lick if necessary.

I don't know, that's just how my stove runs, yours could be different. I've noticed from different pics of the old Bucks that they varied the design over the years. For instance, I've noticed some seem to have a heat chamber on the top of the stove, mine does not. I can only tell you what works with mine. The IR gun is a good start. You just have to get a feel for it and find out what's good for you. 650 does sound kind of hot for the doors though. At those temps, you are feeling some serious heat with the blower on.

if its an "old" buck insert and without a cat, you might not be able to get rid of all the smoke, depending on how old it is. I'd concentrate on burning dry wood (seasoned, not cut and split and burnt the same year) and follow your temps. the rest should take care of itself. wouldn't hurt to get up and check the chimney after a couple of weeks of burning just to see how its doing and give it a lick if necessary.
I had the chimney swept a month ago but I was very new to this and have been burning ever since. I now know to get the stove REALLY hot on reloads then shut her down to prevent creosote. I did not know that before. Do you think that it's a dangerous situation with the buildup already or can I wait till next season to get swept again? I can't really afford another sweep this soon. I have been using this creosote powder every week. Really made a difference where I could see. Everything that was tar looking is now this dried out flakes that fall off occasionally. I'm sorry for all the questions but I really LOVE tending the fire, burning it, cutting the wood, etc and plan in doing it the rest if my life. But I want to do it as safely as possible. I am married and have 5 beautiful little girls to watch out for. Hence all the questions.

I'd wait awhile then check it if you can get on the roof and check it safely. I do my own chimney cleaning but I only have one story and both chimneys can be reached. not hard to do if you can reach them. if you can get on the roof safely and check down the pipe with a flashlight, you should be able to see if you have any creosote or not. I normally check mine at least twice during the season, well when I clean it at the beginning of the burn season and sometime around the end of January or beginning of February. more often if I burn a mix of less seasoned and seasoned wood.
......just a suggestion, get the girls involved in helping you as much as you can. make it a family affair. even if they are young, they can help load wood from the wood pile to the carrier or help move small limbs/brush when you're cutting or help stack when your splitting. I have a three year old grandson that loves to help me "get sticks" from my wood piles and put them in my tractor bucket.........but of course, when its done, he gets to help drive the tractor.

I'd wait awhile then check it if you can get on the roof and check it safely. I do my own chimney cleaning but I only have one story and both chimneys can be reached. not hard to do if you can reach them. if you can get on the roof safely and check down the pipe with a flashlight, you should be able to see if you have any creosote or not. I normally check mine at least twice during the season, well when I clean it at the beginning of the burn season and sometime around the end of January or beginning of February. more often if I burn a mix of less seasoned and seasoned wood.
......just a suggestion, get the girls involved in helping you as much as you can. make it a family affair. even if they are young, they can help load wood from the wood pile to the carrier or help move small limbs/brush when you're cutting or help stack when your splitting. I have a three year old grandson that loves to help me "get sticks" from my wood piles and put them in my tractor bucket.........but of course, when its done, he gets to help drive the tractor.
Thanks tc. I will look down it the next nice day we have. I will most definitely get the girls involved. Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on taking this to the next stages. I bought my wood this year ( don't think it was fully seasoned either) but I have already lined up a couple of ash trees that the guy said I could chop down for next year. May have to try to convince the wife of letting me get a bigger stihl than my 211 for that one. Lol. That might be enough reason for her to let me. Lol. We will see and prAy.

Thanks tc. I will look down it the next nice day we have. I will most definitely get the girls involved. Thanks for the suggestion..... May have to try to convince the wife of letting me get a bigger stihl than my 211 for that one. Lol. That might be enough reason for her to let me. Lol. We will see and prAy.
;) Np, just try and make it fun with the girls and it will go a long way, plus, they will realize what it takes to help keep the house warm and hopefully have satisfaction in the fact that they helped.........good luck on convincing the wife letting you get a bigger chain saw. I have a 290 Farm Boss with an 18 inch blade that works pretty good and single cuts most of my stuff.

;) Np, just try and make it fun with the girls and it will go a long way, plus, they will realize what it takes to help keep the house warm and hopefully have satisfaction in the fact that they helped.........good luck on convincing the wife letting you get a bigger chain saw. I have a 290 Farm Boss with an 18 inch blade that works pretty good and single cuts most of my stuff.
Is the saw u have good for occasionally felling and just plain RIPPING through the other stuff?

I like it....its a great, reliable saw. I had a homelite 360 long ago and I still have but don't use much a little polun I think I picked up at walmart or ace. you might be able to pick up a used farm boss pretty easily. our true value hardware sells new and used.....might check someplace like that.

Been taking everyone's advice here and just got an IR laser thermometer ( I think that's what it's called). Where would be the best place to shoot it at on an old buck insert and what temp should I look for?
We use a 300 win mag at 100 yards, makes a good sound lol!!!
I find the ir gun not very useful and tend to look at the fire and adjust air accordingly, still learning and in the beginning I used the or gun to check my stove top thermometers, now just look at the fire and the time I reloaded. I always pointed it beside my thermometer top left corner of stove.

Reactions: Blowin smoke
Status
Not open for further replies.