Where's winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred61

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Southeastern Vt.
Although there has been several days where I needed a fire per day and several that allowed me to skip a day, I've been faced with a delemma on several days when my storage is too warm to start a fire and too cold to skip burning because of upcoming temperatures and hot water usage are unknown. I would experiment more but all I need is to have the Mrs jump into a cool shower in the morning and nobody will have a good day. Last week while she was away to a seminar, I experimented a couple days and everything was comfortable the next morning but I don't want to chance it with her home. She uses hot water for everything. Even brushing her teeth.
Besides that, I'm using such a small amount of wood it looks like I won't have space enough to stack the wood that I have outdoors in the woodshed following the heating season.
Should I be complaining?

Although there has been several days where I needed a fire per day and several that allowed me to skip a day, I've been faced with a delemma on several days when my storage is too warm to start a fire and too cold to skip burning because of upcoming temperatures and hot water usage are unknown. I would experiment more but all I need is to have the Mrs jump into a cool shower in the morning and nobody will have a good day. Last week while she was away to a seminar, I experimented a couple days and everything was comfortable the next morning but I don't want to chance it with her home. She uses hot water for everything. Even brushing her teeth.
Besides that, I'm using such a small amount of wood it looks like I won't have space enough to stack the wood that I have outdoors in the woodshed following the heating season.
Should I be complaining?

Nope, a lot of folks think it'll be here, with teeth. Check again on Dec. 21. Guessing you'll soon enough be able to make a dent in the woodpile, but hope I'm wrong. I'm no fan of the hawk.

We're 11" behind so far this year. Shaping up to be another winter like we had last year. I don't mind. The older I get the less I like dealing with snow. I want it over Christmas but that's about it.

She uses hot water for everything. Even brushing her teeth.

We have temperature opposite wives ..lol ... mine likes it cold, she's ready to move north! Thermostat hovers around 60-62, and the thermostat has a mind of it's own, sometimes not going on until it's 56-57. ("Don't turn it up!" she says, "I feel hot.")

Actally during Sandy it wasn't so bad, we adjusted, with outside temps in the 40s we just bundled up well, and the old house managed to retain some heat, but god forbid anyone was sick, then it's a whole different ballgame.

Anyway, Fred, how are the roads up there — the damage to Vermont roads from Irene the other year was incredible: I saw whole sections undermined by water and collapsed. Are they ready for a ski season if they get one?

The roads are pretty much back in place so one can get anywhere they need to. Th exceptions being the replacement of the Bartonsville covered bridge which is in the last stages of re-construction and a few temporary bridges that are still serving areas where the permanent bridges were washed out.
It's private property and small mom & pop businesses that are still in limbo where their land was completely washed out from beneath their homes along with the structure itself that are still waiting to see if FEMA will be of any help. Some of those washed out roads took many thousands of yards of material to re-fill the washouts.
As for the ski areas, some cold weather in the beginning of the season allowed them to make some snow so they got a base but the recent warm weather deterroriated some of it and of course have not been able to fire up the guns as of late.

Fred. I think you will get a chance to burn that wood up. I too have been wondering where winter is. I would rather have it stay at least 35 or below from now through the end of Feb. All this up and down is for the birds. One day it is 52 ::F, the next it is 15 ::F. The weather, it is a changing. Slow but sure. Hey, I clicked on your avatar. Nice friggin ride man! How long have you had it? How many miles have you put on it? Tell us about that thing! !!!

Reactions: ScotO
Fred. I think you will get a chance to burn that wood up. I too have been wondering where winter is. I would rather have it stay at least 35 or below from now through the end of Feb. All this up and down is for the birds. One day it is 52 ::F, the next it is 15 ::F. The weather, it is a changing. Slow but sure. Hey, I clicked on your avatar. Nice friggin ride man! How long have you had it? How many miles have you put on it? Tell us about that thing! !!!

It's a 2008 Dynamax Grand Sport. My 2004 diesel pusher got damaged by lightning a couple years ago so after $15000.00 in repairs I didn't trust it so I got rid of it. I've had this one for a year. Due to caring for an aged (94 year old) mother-in-law, we've only driven it about 5000 miles. Dry weight is about the same as my old one (34000 lbs) but has alot more power and a 30,000 lb hitch. There is no comparison in handling between this style and the bus style. It's like driving a pick-up. A little more expensive to buy and operate. The old unit had a cat c-7 engine and only held 21 quarts of oil. The Mercedes engine in this one holds 11 gallons , so you really notice the oil changes. It really brings out the Tim The Tool Man types when it's parked in RV parks. I've even been asked if they could sit in the cockpit. It's basically the Freightliner Columbia tractor with a few ammenities and upgrades with a longer frame and a camper box built on it.

Fred. That beauty looks, well, beautiful! You should post a thread about it in one of the other forums like The Gear, or The Inglenook, or Perfect picture. Let me know if you do. Some pics of the inside and all the cool stuff it has. That would be sweet. Ya gotta show that thing off on here man! ;lol My wife and I have talked about possibly getting a motor home in the future. Of course we would have to buy used and "a little" cheaper than that! But as long as it was reliable it would be nice to show the kids some of the good old U.S. while they are still young. Maybe in the future. We also want to buy a large piece of property with timber on it for a future retirement home. So it will probably be one or the other. Oh well. Show that thing off man. I gotta know what it has and looks like in there!==c

Fred. That beauty looks, well, beautiful! You should post a thread about it in one of the other forums like The Gear, or The Inglenook, or Perfect picture. Let me know if you do. Some pics of the inside and all the cool stuff it has. That would be sweet. Ya gotta show that thing off on here man! ;lol My wife and I have talked about possibly getting a motor home in the future. Of course we would have to buy used and "a little" cheaper than that! But as long as it was reliable it would be nice to show the kids some of the good old U.S. while they are still young. Maybe in the future. We also want to buy a large piece of property with timber on it for a future retirement home. So it will probably be one or the other. Oh well. Show that thing off man. I gotta know what it has and looks like in there!==c
I don't do all those forums and social media. I come to Hearth because it attracts my kind of people. People with a good head and the ability to roll up their sleeves and make things happen with their hands. I'm reluctant to use up space on a wood burning forum on something that is irrelevant to burning wood. I'll post a few pics and hopefully we can end it there. Sorry Craig!
image001 (416 x 277).jpgView attachment 84542 image005 (416 x 313).jpg[AT

Here's a unit you can pick up now and have it ready to load the kids in it and hit the road come dirt! It's a few feet shorter than mine so it doesn't have the galley slide but other than that It's the same unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009...s-one-owner-NICE-/121030187663?pt=RVs_Campers

Attachments

• image008 (416 x 316).jpg
    image008 (416 x 316).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image013 (416 x 317).jpg
    image013 (416 x 317).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 175
  • image010 (416 x 317).jpg
    image010 (416 x 317).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: lotawood
Thanks for sharing Fred.

We all have outside interests other than burning. Occasionally we "drift" out into that. I've got a pretty neat job, it comes up occasionally.

I think the motorhome is VERY cool. Not sure I could ever sell the wife on the idea. The ability to travel with our "hairy kids" AKA a Rottie, Bull Mastif, and a Mutt might sway her, someday.

I'm only 39.. So my retirement traveling is a ways away. Thanks for the peek at your toy.

JP

Thanks for sharing Fred.

We all have outside interests other than burning. Occasionally we "drift" out into that. I've got a pretty neat job, it comes up occasionally.

I think the motorhome is VERY cool. Not sure I could ever sell the wife on the idea. The ability to travel with our "hairy kids" AKA a Rottie, Bull Mastif, and a Mutt might sway her, someday.

I'm only 39.. So my retirement traveling is a ways away. Thanks for the peek at your toy.

JP
Speaking of your job. I don't know what JP 11 is but during my time as crew chief on F-106s I pumped alot of JP 4.

LOL.. it happens to be my initials, and my lucky number.

But 106s.. yeah.. they would be burning the dead dinosaurs pretty fast. When I went thru honduras on my way to Costa Rica in a seaplane back in '95... there were still some of the "century fighters" being used down there. Their emergency arrestor gear on the runway damn near cleaned out my front set of float wheels. I was lucky to have enough smash to get the plane to hop over the wire just after I saw it.

See.. thread drift. :0)

Thanks for showing us that Fred. Very nice. I don't use social media, like Facebook and the like, either. Don't need it. Some of the other forums on Hearth.com have a lot of cool stuff in them. I have learned a lot of things by checking out the Wood Shed, The Gear, and The Inglenook. Plus get to know some of these good people on Hearth.com. And have some laughs. I hear you though about just wanting to talk about wood burning and boilers and the like. To each his own. As far as the link to the one for sale on e-bay. Thank you. I like it. Nice price tag on that! Like I said. We will need to find something "a little cheaper" than that! ;lol But you just added something to the forum with showing us your ride! Very nice! Thanks again.

I hear you though about just wanting to talk about wood burning and boilers and the like

Don't get me wrong. I could talk about it all week. I just want to respect the folks that are on here for boilers and other wood burning equipment. Don't want to bore them with something that is of no interest to them.

Nice ride Fred!! Not my cup of tea, but it's a beauty for sure.

I did my part to avoid snow this winter, snow thrower was started yesterday and checked out for all functions working and I changed the fluid in the truck's snow plow along with some minor repairs. Funny, it's this time of year when I think about doing a complete overhaul of the plow but I'm either too busy or it's too chilly for me to work comfortably in the garage...and during the summer when it's ideal to do this I don't think of it as it's stored in the "back 40"...outa sight outa mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.