whether and how to insulate this chimney exit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
These photos and the rest of the details are SO helpful--exactly what I've been trying to envision, and I think this is what I will do. Thank you very much.

I will be insulating only *around* the metal sleeve (filling the corners of the rafter bay) but not inside it. I got the same caution that you did from company tech support, along the lines of "insulation is allowed only in the company-manufactured support boxes, because those have been through Underwriters Labs testing (UL 103)," which I find summarized online as follows: https://jeremiasinc.com/fileadmin/u.../ul_summaries/Jeremias_Inc_UL_103_Summary.pdf

My amateur interpretation is that although the Roxul isn't combustible, if there's any kind of severe thermoshock in the insulated portion of the pipe (for instance, a burnoff of creosote that has collected in the chimney near the roof line) it might conduct enough heat from the chimney pipe to damage a homemade sleeve? (And you wouldn't be able to inspect for that, once it's surrounded with spray foam.)

However: in the course of trying to sort out my current dilemma I've had several people who heat exclusively with wood-- (1) the owner of an Ace hardware store (Selkirk dealer), (2) an instructor at the local trade school, and (3) a neighbor who is a volunteer firefighter--all tell me that they have simply had pink fiberglass insulation filling that roof void directly around the class-A chimneys in their homes for decades. For liability purposes, the company specs certainly represent safety overkill. But personally, I know I'll sleep better at night if I stick to the specs!
Glad that helped - we're figuring out this one in tandem. I finally got mine in place last night - phew, now I can move on! A plus of the bolt-spacers is that once you have closed the shield they provide a temporary friction hold to the pipe while you are getting the shield screwed/nailed in place.

An aside responding to your neighbors installations: my understanding is that fiberglass is NOT non-combustible, so rockwool or other ASTM 136 non-cumbustibe-rated insulation would be a better choice around chimneys. https://www.rockwool.com/syssiteass...att-thermal-insulation-wood-stud-brochure.pdf