Which 4" chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbb

Apr 21, 2012
Nw. Maine
Gentlemen; I will be installing a Harmon p68 this spring. 25 foot straight chimney, brick with a 8"terracotta liner, thimble 5' above floor. Looking at a 4" liner with insulation kit. there are so many brands and flexes I am unsure which to get. Currently looking at Rockford but am open to any other suggestions.

Thank you

Gentlemen; I will be installing a Harmon p68 this spring. 25 foot straight chimney, brick with a 8"terracotta liner, thimble 5' above floor. Looking at a 4" liner with insulation kit. there are so many brands and flexes I am unsure which to get. Currently looking at Rockford but am open to any other suggestions.

Thank you
Typically they will use a straight pipe and then a flexible to snake through the smoke shelf area and the damper. But you can use flexible liner all the way up if your manual says you can. Read the manual for your stove or insert it should tell you all you need to know. Rather than insulate your own liner, many people choose a pre-insulated liner to save time and labor.

I have a P43 and I installed a 4" uninsulated liner all the way up to the top of the chimney (about 20ft). I've been using it this way for 6 years and it has worked great. No problems with not enough draft or clogging. I burn 3 tons a year and I've only cleaned the liner once and it didn't need it. I just vacuum to the tee now from inside the stove every year and that is good enough. YMMV
Ron