Which classic stove to install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CJFritz

Jan 28, 2018
Northern Minnesota
Hello all!
New to the forum, but a lifetime wood-burner.
I find myself in a dilemma that I hope some of you may be able to help with-

I am building a new little house in the woods, and I have two classic wood stoves stored to choose from for install. Both of them are over-sized for my application, as my little house in the woods is only about 700 sq/ft. But here are my options-

#1 The Hearthstone H-II
It is in very nice shape, ready to burn with just a little cosmetic clean up on the outside to do. 6" pipe which I already have an abundance of, so that saves me some money, but I am thinking it might just roast me out of the house if it is above zero outside.

#2 The "Old Timer" Fisher clone.
Also very nice and ready to burn with only some minor exterior cosmetic issues. 8" pipe for that one, which means I have to buy everything from the chimney cap down for that (about $500 if I have to get it all new). But this might be a bit easier to control in my small square footage.

Opinions? Admonishments?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Edit-
Perhaps a bit more information might be helpful...
The house is a single story, wide open floor plan. And I am in northern MN, about the coldest climate in CONUS. To put it into perspective, I am currently in a small one room cabin, just under 400 sq/ft, and I am using a Drolet stove that is rated for 12-1400 sq/ft and it keeps the cabin warm, but you have to feed it like The Kinks. You know- "All Day and All of the Night". LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandar
Will the new house be much better insulated and sealed than the cabin? How much insulation will there be?

Hearthstone's way too big for that unless oyu leave a couple windows open all the time. Even then...

Will the new house be much better insulated and sealed than the cabin? How much insulation will there be?

Yes, 5 inch walls vs 3.5 inch walls in the cabin. Also the floor has 10 inches in the new house, only 5.5 in the cabin. Roof will be the same between both, 10 inches of fiberglass, so R-30, same as the floor. As far as better sealed, probably about the same. I am a big believer in not living inside a double walled plastic bag. There will also be fresh air intake placed strategically in the new house to keep from potentially living in a vacuum. Both buildings are built off the ground, on posts (or piers, depending on what part of the country you are from...) the only difference being that the new house is significantly farther above grade than the cabin, several feet in some places.

Of the two I would select the HII, it is smaller than the HI and lower output. The soapstone is going to be less radiant and more comfortable in a small space. That said, if it were my place I'd keep looking. An 8" flue these days is silly in a small house. A good stove would be the Pacific Energy alderlea T5 or their Super 27 if any show up. Otherwise keep in mind there are good stoves in the 1.8-2.4 cu ft range new for under a thousand. They will burn a lot cleaner and better and will use less fuel as long as the wood is fully seasoned.

Of the two I would select the HII, it is smaller than the HI and lower output. The soapstone is going to be less radiant and more comfortable in a small space. That said, if it were my place I'd keep looking. An 8" flue these days is silly in a small house. A good stove would be the Pacific Energy alderlea T5 or their Super 27 if any show up. Otherwise keep in mind there are good stoves in the 1.8-2.4 cu ft range new for under a thousand. They will burn a lot cleaner and better and will use less fuel as long as the wood is fully seasoned.

Thanks for the input! Fuel is never a problem for me, so that is not an issue. As I live right smack in the middle of the forest, and I know a tree service guy that delivers 20 yard loads for gas money.
But it is a choice between the two stoves I have here, as I am on a budget, and a tight one at that. The Old Timer Fisher clone is the 8 inch pipe guy. I don't have an H-I, I thought the H-II was hard to move, but the H-I is like moving a small auto without wheels from what I understand.
Much as I would like a brand new stove, I will probably have to stick with one of my two "classics".

OK I wasn't sure if the house was built and ready for heat yet or not. For sure the HI would be like placing a whale in a swimming pool. The HII not so bad. All modern stoves for this size house will need a 6" flue. I am guessing that the chimney height will be on the shorter side. If later on you decide to connect a more modern stove to a short 8" flue the results could be disappointing. For that reason I would not put in an 8" chimney.

This would be a better fit, but they are asking a ridiculous price - about 2.5x what it sold for new.
https://duluth.craigslist.org/app/d/vermont-castings-resolute/6450468072.html
This might have potential
https://duluth.craigslist.org/hsh/d/century-27xe-wood-stove/6467248168.html
Check this out carefully. If in good condition and not too far away it could work well.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/hsh/d/wood-stove-pacific-energy/6476303901.html

Last edited:
OK I wasn't sure if the house was built and ready for heat yet or not. For sure the HI would be like placing a whale in a swimming pool. The HII not so bad. All modern stoves for this size house will need a 6" flue. I am guessing that the chimney height will be on the shorter side. If later on you decide to connect a more modern stove to a short 8" flue the results could be disappointing. For that reason I would not put in an 8" chimney.

This would be a better fit, but they are asking a ridiculous price - about 2.5x what it sold for new.
https://duluth.craigslist.org/app/d/vermont-castings-resolute/6450468072.html
This might have potential
https://duluth.craigslist.org/hsh/d/century-27xe-wood-stove/6467248168.html

Yeah, the building is standing, but at the moment it is just a shell, haven't even gotten the shingles on yet. (Though the roof IS covered for the winter.) Chimney will be under 14' from top of stove to top of cap, and it is coming out as close to the ridge as you can put it, so the stove will be pretty well centered in the house.

Oh yes, I have been perusing the Duluth CL and checking out all things woodburning. (as a matter of fact, if you look, you'll see my H-II listed there....) I like to look, but my budget only allows for tire-kicking, not much fire-picking. :)

The PE standard is going for $300.