Which cord is more valuable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sap or barkless?

• Give me sap for the BTUs, I'll deal with the bark.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I'll give up the sapwood to have no bark in my carpet.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
The one thing I don't like about spruce is all the bark chips in the living room carpet. I have processed about 4 cords so far for next year, I have about 80% of a cord of Chihuahua (no bark) spruce in a rack ready to get dry...

chihuahua.JPG

And I am collecting "sapsicles" in my other drying racks, like these ones:

sapsicles.JPG

So I am going to end up, about, with five cords worth of sap in 4 cords of spruce, and another cord with essentially no sap in it.

My original plan was to donate the Chihuahua Spruce to a local charity auction. I figured some high roller might be wiling to put down big (relatively) dollars for a cord of spruce with no bark on it. Then the $$ proceeds go the less fortunate as a cash donation to the food bank.

But I was looking at those sapsicles tonight. I know I can dry these down to 10%MC by mid June. And I know my combustor treats burning sap globs like cocaine. I am not actually on mission to give @BKVP a stomach ulcer...it just keeps working out that way year after year.

Starting to wonder if maybe I am doing my own wood pile a favor by getting rid of all the low sap heartwood, helping out the poor if the Chihuahua spruce starts a bidding war, and the inexperienced burner who pays too much for the spruce with no sap on it holds the bag.

Which would be more valuable to you? A cord with no bark and very little sap, or a sappy barky cord with little heartwood?

Reactions: Hasufel
The one thing I don't like about spruce is all the bark chips in the living room carpet. I have processed about 4 cords so far for next year, I have about 80% of a cord of Chihuahua (no bark) spruce in a rack ready to get dry...

View attachment 196348

And I am collecting "sapsicles" in my other drying racks, like these ones:

View attachment 196349

So I am going to end up, about, with five cords worth of sap in 4 cords of spruce, and another cord with essentially no sap in it.

My original plan was to donate the Chihuahua Spruce to a local charity auction. I figured some high roller might be wiling to put down big (relatively) dollars for a cord of spruce with no bark on it. Then the $$ proceeds go the less fortunate as a cash donation to the food bank.

But I was looking at those sapsicles tonight. I know I can dry these down to 10%MC by mid June. And I know my combustor treats burning sap globs like cocaine. I am not actually on mission to give @BKVP a stomach ulcer...it just keeps working out that way year after year.

Starting to wonder if maybe I am doing my own wood pile a favor by getting rid of all the low sap heartwood, helping out the poor if the Chihuahua spruce starts a bidding war, and the inexperienced burner who pays too much for the spruce with no sap on it holds the bag.

Which would be more valuable to you? A cord with no bark and very little sap, or a sappy barky cord with little heartwood?
Home Show this Friday and weekend. Come see me in person to discuss ulcers.

I am thinking next year i am going to get some of those tree taps from vermont maple sugar dot com and just tap some spruce trees.

Dry the sap, cut it into slabs and skip felling the trees.

Home Show this Friday and weekend. Come see me in person to discuss ulcers.

Maybe sunday afternoon. I need to get three more cords put away while i still have snow to drag the sled on.