Which englander would be best

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fibes

Oct 16, 2008
central wi.
I have a 1400 sq home with some insulation and older windows, the house is a one story. I would be putting the stove in a central location in the house. The ceilings are 8ft. I would be heating most of the time with wood. Need your opinions on what size englander would work the best.

thanks

I think the 30 would probably work best, but you might have trouble finding one now. Most of the stores here in Mich are out for now.

Looking at englanders because of budget and posts i have read here. I was in a HD here in Wi. on Tuesday and they still had 3 30's in the store

What is the installation gonna look like? As in where in the house?

............from the posts I have read the englander 13 should fit the bill. Lowes had them for 800 here in toledo. There is a hearth shop that had a floor model 30 for 800; I have a similar square footage and am about to pull the trigger soon. Love the value that the englanders bring to the table........lovely wife wants looks over function.
oops.....my home is a two story, misread original post.
good luck, mike

It will be in the dinning room which is in the center of the house, living room, kitchen, bath and bedrooms all connect to dinning room. Also have a ceiling fan in dinning room.

Since the dining room isn't where most people spend their time it might work. But it sure seems like the 13-NC would be a better stove to use in a central location in that kind of space. Much as I love the big hoss it can put off some major heat. And take up a good bit of space in that room.

I'am not to worried about taking up space in the room,I really don't use it except to keep the piano in , and will be moving that into spare bedroom. Don't want to over heat, but want to make sure I have enough.

fibes said:
I'am not to worried about taking up space in the room,I really don't use it except to keep the piano in , and will be moving that into spare bedroom. Don't want to over heat, but want to make sure I have enough.

Something you always have to remember when you make changes to a house. You will want to sell it someday. How will the change impact the sale? There are really weird home buyers that might, ya know, want to put a dining table and chairs in there.

Just another one of those PITA things to think about.

The 13-NC Englander will heat up to 1500 Sq Ft. I just bought one and really like it, altho it is not installed yet.

Bill

1400 sq ft in WI I think I would go with the 30.
If you were to sell the house later and the 30 was problem then it could un-installed and taken with you or sold.
The 13 is rated at 1500, but those figures are sometimes wishful thinking.

I would sure take BroB's comments into account, but knowing the weather in central WI. I think the 13 is gonna be huffing pretty hard alot of the time. It is probably up to the task of heating your area, but you will be running it hard and reloading more often than I would care to do.

That being said, if Jags was in your shoes, I would pick up the 30 if "heating" trumps all other points. I think its just gonna be a more capable heater for your area and application.

One dudes opinion.

By "heating most of the time with wood", do you mean 24/7 burning? If so, I would lean toward the 30 for the extra burntime. At times though, you will probably be looking for ways to get rid of some of the excess heat :) Maybe someone who burns a 13 will chime in about 24/7 burning.

I have a similar sized home as you and decided to go with the NC-30 based on recomendations from this site. As has been said, better to have to much than not enough. The few fires I have lit, one last night when it got down into the thirty's, have made the house very comfortable with a smaller fire and a couple ceiling fans running and one box fan placed in the hallway pointed back to the woodburner.

Will be burning when at home, when gone for work or other things would load stove before leaving, if it would go out I do have a gas furnace for backup.

Hanko said:
I think the 30 would probably work best, but you might have trouble finding one now. Most of the stores here in Mich are out for now.

My buddy bought the last one from the Howell store!

Status
Not open for further replies.