Which Fisher wood stove model do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buggiebutt7

Aug 27, 2022
fishtail MT
I have a fisher wood stove that has the draft knobs on the side instead of the front. I am wanting to sell it and want to make sure I have accurate information. Size outside is back to front 3ft, side to side 29 1/2", height 27 1/2" front, height 33 1/2" at the back second level. the inside depth is about 17" and width is about 26" with a height of about 16". Any help and information would be greatly appreciated

First, it should have a UL tag on the back with model.

You are describing a glass door stove that has side primary inlets. The size you describe is a Grandpa Bear. (GP width should have 6 bricks across the back) Start there to determine model.

Solid doors have air dampers on front of doors. The full size models with glass doors (Grandpa, Grandma and Insert) all have side inlets and air wash for glass under doors controlled with two sliding controls.

A picture of the doors and stove would help. I’m guessing a Grandpa IV. The shape of glass changes from a III to IV. If the doors have brass trim with glass, it is a “Brass and Glass”. They were available painted black, or painted metallic brown, or doors plated with optional brass, or nickel plate.

To further complicate determining what you have, there were optional cast iron inserts to replace glass making a glass door stove solid. So people describing a stove with solid doors can be looking at a glass door with solid panels. Pictures are required.

The air dampers will have different edge details as well. A “Brass and Glass”, or some brass plated stoves depending on year will have solid brass air dampers. They are extremely heavy compared to aluminum. You can tell when spinning them. They will have polished brass edges.

There are Standard legs, or Fireplace legs. The Fireplace option has large chrome ball feet with a skirt between legs. Models with removable bolted on legs can be Standard, Furniture (cast iron scroll) or Bear Legs, which are not the adjustable Bear feet, actual cast iron Bear Legs with hair and paws cast into the cast iron.

With all the options and accessories, pictures are needed to tell you exactly what you have.

7C3792FF-A356-49E4-8C61-8F9563206AA8.jpeg
The pictures of the stove are attached. I have not been able to find a tag just yet. I’ve never seen a fisher like this. I love it just turns out to be too big for my space. 0DC1A5A1-BE07-4DEE-8EFB-7AAF0B1F1A2A.jpeg F52D3B40-46E5-49E2-B0C1-0FC4E00395A2.jpeg FD2402E2-8A17-42F0-A80A-B72E0AB62C12.jpeg 7B4A40FD-68D8-4628-9FA1-066A3C924DB2.jpeg

I was correct from your description.

Grandpa Bear is the model size. (6 bricks across back shows width) it should also have a baffle plate that sets on welded angle iron below the outlet.

The doors are Grandpa IV which are glass with optional cast iron solid panels added instead of glass.

The side intakes and air wash is normal for glass stoves. Rear shield is normal for this model making it the Series IV. The UL Label was normally attached to rear shield.

The leg attachment is not shown in pics which would help identify the options. The GP/GM IV had optional style legs welded or bolted. (Standard shown in pic) The XL had Fireplace Legs with large chrome adjustable ball feet.

Edit: Faceplate is normal for this model.