which liner do I buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_376

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2012
central Ct
I've been shopping around on the internet for a good liner for my chimney for a fireplace insert install. I have a few questions about them before I spend money. One unit that I liked was http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/smooth-liner-kit.php it is a smooth wall liner. I was also looking at this one http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...mney-Champion-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner-Kit-6in it has a standard spiral on the inside. Anyone have experience with these liners? Logic tells me that the smooth one would be better in pulling draft and have less surface for creosote to hold onto. Is there a real need for me to spend the extra money for the smooth wall? Or do you have another suggestion for a better / cheaper option?

Also what should I choose for a top plate the standard sag-free/flat plate or upgrade it to a clay top? The local dealer said they only install the flat ones and never had a problem " the weight of the liner and the caulk hold it firmly in place and seal out water".

I have a 25' (top of clay to bottom of fireplace) straight shot exterior wall brick chimney going to an old Avalon 796 but eventually upgrading to a bigger insert. I plan to insulate the liner and ad a block off plate.

any help or comment would be appreciated

dave_376 said:
I've been shopping around on the internet for a good liner for my chimney for a fireplace insert install. I have a few questions about them before I spend money. One unit that I liked was http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/smooth-liner-kit.php it is a smooth wall liner. I was also looking at this one http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...mney-Champion-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner-Kit-6in it has a standard spiral on the inside. Anyone have experience with these liners? Logic tells me that the smooth one would be better in pulling draft and have less surface for creosote to hold onto. Is there a real need for me to spend the extra money for the smooth wall? Or do you have another suggestion for a better / cheaper option?

I'd go with the Woodland direct liner. I've installed almost a hundred of this type (corrugated SS) & never had an issue once it made it down thru the damper.

Also what should I choose for a top plate the standard sag-free/flat plate or upgrade it to a clay top? The local dealer said they only install the flat ones and never had a problem " the weight of the liner and the caulk hold it firmly in place and seal out water"

Flat. Never had an issue here either.

I have a 25' (top of clay to bottom of fireplace) straight shot exterior wall brick chimney going to an old Avalon 796 but eventually upgrading to a bigger insert. I plan to insulate the liner and ad a block off plate.

any help or comment would be appreciated

Sounds like a good plan to me!

If anyone knows what there talking about, Daksy would be the guy. That looks like a good plan to me too!

I put the first one on your list in and love it. It is a little more rigid because it is 2 ply but very easy to clean with the smooth wall. I went with the deluxe terra cotta cap and like it really well too. Just slide the clip over and hinge it out of your way.

Yep. Do the terra cotta top plate. Tossed my two flat top plates and those goofy caps after a couple of years and I love these things. Easy to pop open for inspection and you can see if they are getting clogged from a hundred yards away. On the ground. Oh, and they haven't ever been clogged.

Locust Post said:
I put the first one on your list in and love it. It is a little more rigid because it is 2 ply but very easy to clean with the smooth wall. I went with the deluxe terra cotta cap and like it really well too. Just slide the clip over and hinge it out of your way.

+1 on BB's comments. I went with this cap pretty much on his recommendation and it IS a simple setup and I like being able to see the screen easily from the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.