Which Osburn based on layout and size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Titan 1

May 16, 2019
Montgomery County Pa
I've read many post here with regards to sizing and heat. I understand these wood inserts kick a lot of heat. Rather than try to describe my layout I'll just post the pics. It's a 2300sqft rancher that is pretty much a circle, it's kind of open but you can see in the pics. In the main living room where the fireplace is has 12ft ceilings at the peak. The distance form wall to wall which includes the main living room, entrance way and dinning room is 45'x15.5'. The little hallway is what completes the circle. I'm thinking about either the osburn 2000 or 2400. This winter has been pretty mild here for eastern PA but they can get pretty cold. My house is ALL oil so I burn almost 800gal a year. House is not super efficient obviously. I'd be looking to use this unit just to supplement some of the oil. If I could cut the oil in half that would be perfect. I'd have to get comfortable with the unit to burn during the day when no one is home though. I'm sure some strategically placed fans could make this work but wanted to see what everyone thought based on the layout. I just don't want to cook myself out of the main room I spend my relaxing time in. The bedrooms have their own zones for the oil so it's not super important to try and heat the rooms with the stove. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 110
  • H2.jpg
    H2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 107
  • H3.jpg
    H3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 108
  • H4.jpg
    H4.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 104
  • H5.jpg
    H5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 104
  • H6.jpg
    H6.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 101
  • H7.jpg
    H7.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
I would go with the 2000 for that room set up. I currently have a Regency 2400 which is close to the same size as the Osburn 2000 and my living room is a little bigger than yours. I can easily cook us out of the room. With my main floor and second story it is around 1,800 sq ft and I could easily heat the hole house if I wanted. Last night it was low 20's, I loaded it up once and had to open the slider for a little bit just to cool down the room. You can always turn off the fan or build smaller fires if you are going to be using the room at the time of burning and then load it up for night burns.

Thanks for your feedback. Any other suggestions?
I'd also look at Drolet and Century, they are the same firebox and maker, lower $.

I'd go for the biggest one that will fit in your fireplace. Mine is 2.4 cubic feet, which is the largest I could go, and the largest Drolet and Century make, and the same as the Osburn 2000, I believe.

If I could have fit more, I'd have upgraded to Osburn, as I think they make a larger one.

I wouldn't like the ones under 2 cubic feet. Too short a burn time, and not enough heater in our house.

I'd also look at Drolet and Century, they are the same firebox and maker, lower $.

I'd go for the biggest one that will fit in your fireplace. Mine is 2.4 cubic feet, which is the largest I could go, and the largest Drolet and Century make, and the same as the Osburn 2000, I believe.

If I could have fit more, I'd have upgraded to Osburn, as I think they make a larger one.

I wouldn't like the ones under 2 cubic feet. Too short a burn time, and not enough heater in our house.

I know for a fact that the Osburn 2400 will fit. I was just worried about cooking myself out of the room I'd be spending the most time in. I understand I can make smaller fires but how small and still be effective for the rest of the house?

Yeah, no way for anyone to know what it'll be like in your house. They are all different.

My house is poorly insulated with solid thick masonry walls. So I could use the extra hp. Hence my first answer. If your house is well insulated and you follow all the correct protocols (insulated block off plate), the 2.4 fireboxes will heat up that room, plenty, with lots to spare if you move it around with fans.

I wouldn't go smaller in any case, too much of a hassle to mess with a small firebox.

I'd just put the Drolet 1800i in, and you'll probably be thrilled. Just my opinion.

I know for a fact that the Osburn 2400 will fit. I was just worried about cooking myself out of the room I'd be spending the most time in. I understand I can make smaller fires but how small and still be effective for the rest of the house?
I could have fit the size up Regency in my fireplace but it wasn't worth the extra $$ to me. Keep in mind I was not buying the insert to use 100% to heat the house. I could easily do it if that is what I wanted with the 2400 I have. With any insert if you are starting to get too hot in the room you can turn the fan off and it will help cool the room back down. I guess it just depends on if you think the bigger one is worth the $$. With your layout it looks like it will be hard to get heat back to the bedrooms regardless.

By the looks of things only the adjacent spaces would get good heating. The BRs not too good. Ranches are harder to heat evenly with a wood stove. For supplemental heat a ~2 cu ft stove should help. There are many models in this size. What is the budget and what do the local dealers sell?

By the looks of things only the adjacent spaces would get good heating. The BRs not too good. Ranches are harder to heat evenly with a wood stove. For supplemental heat a ~2 cu ft stove should help. There are many models in this size. What is the budget and what do the local dealers sell?

Here is what is accessible to me brand wise. Osburn, Jotul, quadra fire, Lopi, Napoleon and Vermont. I don't expect to heat any of the bedrooms with this since I have separate zones for the rooms. Some fans could help push things around no?!?Suggestions? Budget is 2500-3500 for the stove. If I had to go 4K for the perfect stove I would. Not worried about install

Here is what is accessible to me brand wise. Osburn, Jotul, quadra fire, Lopi, Napoleon and Vermont. I don't expect to heat any of the bedrooms with this since I have separate zones for the rooms. Some fans could help push things around no?!?Suggestions? Budget is 2500-3500 for the stove. If I had to go 4K for the perfect stove I would. Not worried about install
You have other options available to you, there in Montgomery County. All the ones you listed have a generous middle-man fee, paid directly from your bank account to theirs.

Delivered to my front door, free:

Plenty of options at this site.

Just a satisfied customer here.

And yes, fans will help move heat around.

Reactions: Mech e
With that budget then I would get the biggest you can fit in there. You can always dial it back to make it comfortable in that room and load it up when not in use.

Regarding what insert to buy, I was nearly ready to buy the Osburn 2400 due to a steal of a price on a display unit. I couldn't get over the look of the blower all bulky and square. I looked at Jotul's, they were nice but out of my price range and then Napoleon I did not care for the looks. My suggestion is find out you aesthetically would like to look at for the next 10 plus years and then research how it performs.

I love my Regency, performance and looks wise so if that is a option I would also look into them.

Attachments

• i2400.jpg
    i2400.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 106
The Osburn 2000, Jotul C4500, Quadrafire 2700i, Lopi Revere, Napoleon 1402, all would work for this installation.