Which stihl chainsaw should I buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
MS 290 < 2yrs old very good conditon $200 or a O39 < 10years old for $100 in good running condition.
My needs are for a wood burner using 5-6 cords per year. The occasional medium size tree removal.
I have a 35cc 16" saw for small stuff.
I appreciate well made products and do my own repairs and maintenance.

gzecc said:
MS 290 < 2yrs old very good conditon $200 or a O39 < 10years old for $100 in good running condition.
My needs are for a wood burner using 5-6 cords per year. The occasional medium size tree removal.

Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a man cant have too many saws and at them prices get em both

if you have a 35 cc saw go with the 390 its 65cc that will get you where your going!

Neither, go HUSQUVARNA ;)

I agree with both!! One may be down for those repairs and maintenance!

gzecc said:

Can you look at them before you decide? If the 039 is in good shape I'd go that way but it's sortov a coin toss.

taxidermist said:
gzecc said:

Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a man cant have too many saws and at them prices get em both

Taxi fella has a point.

I agree with both. It's nice to have another saw to pick up if you are having issues with one of them. (Or the operator gets the saw pinched when trying to cut just a bit too far).

We recently downed a dead 56 year old ash in my yard. It is >36" at the base. Had to have a friend use his Stihl Farm Boss w/20" bar to cut the large wood. My only saw is a Stihl MS250 w/16" bar which is great for the small to medium wood but has to work much too hard to cut anything over 12". Much of the wood I cut in the future will be > 12" so I am looking at a Stihl 361 or Husqvarna 357XP Pro, both with 20"bar, as a second saw for the larger wood.

If cost is an issue I would recommend you purchase the Stihl 039. If cost is not an issue I would recommend looking at both of the saws I mentioned.

I am always reluctant to purchase a tool someone else is selling because I do not know why it is being sold. However, if I know the seller and am familiar with the item my reluctance is somewhat diminished. I do like the look, feel, reliability, functionality and warranty associated with a new tool.

Did a lot of cutting with a Stihl 036 many years ago. It was a great saw. Am just now getting back into cutting my own wood so consider my recommendations with that in mind. Decisons! Decisions!

Best wishes,

John_M

Both! I have a big weekend of cutting coming up and may not get my Dolmar back from the shop in time so it pays to have 2 saws that can do the work, especially at the price you are getting.

If you already have a 35cc saw, get something bigger for larger wood. I'd suggest looking for something about 70-80cc.

wendell said:
Both! I have a big weekend of cutting coming up and may not get my Dolmar back from the shop in time so it pays to have 2 saws that can do the work, especially at the price you are getting.
Whats wrong with the dolmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.