Which stove is better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason Knapp

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2012
Poughkeepsie, NY
Here's a thread that may get some people "fired up"
I own a 25 pdvc and a 25 ep stove.
I'm curious about members opinion on which stove is better.
In my opinion, the 25 pdvc is a better option.
Cleaning is easier. It's easier to get the door air tight. It burns HOT!
The 25 ep has its benefits, no doubt.
It pretty, the single auger decreases the potential for burn back.
It's drawbacks?
It's a pain to clean, getting a good seal on the door and ash pan can be challenging and I wish the burn pot had an agitator.
Input from everyone is welcome. Please contribute.

Here's a thread that may get some people "fired up"
I own a 25 pdvc and a 25 ep stove.
I'm curious about members opinion on which stove is better.
In my opinion, the 25 pdvc is a better option.
Cleaning is easier. It's easier to get the door air tight. It burns HOT!
The 25 ep has its benefits, no doubt.
It pretty, the single auger decreases the potential for burn back.
It's drawbacks?
It's a pain to clean, getting a good seal on the door and ash pan can be challenging and I wish the burn pot had an agitator.
Input from everyone is welcome. Please contribute.
Personally if you decide on the pdvc you mod is we'll get the pdv model. It's a bigger btu and a little more fancy stove.

Interesting topic. All I know and have is the 25EP model. Actually the rebuilt version from AMFM-55TRPEP. The ashpan gasket seal is kind of a joke. My hopper does not seal even after adding extra gaskets. I hope or like to think that keeping it full of pellets helps. The door seal does not pass the dollar bill test in areas. I am going to redo the door gaskets this off season and see what happens. With all of that it seems to burn well. Chamber is all white-grey with no soot at all. 90% of the time the burn pot is clean with no real scraping needed. At least on lower levels up to 3. Which is good enough on most days. I get clinkers after half a day on 3 and above. It may be the pellets but it does what I ask of it. Flame seems to be more than high enough on 3 I could not imagine it on 8 or 9.
I wanted to get the PDV for the added BTU's but my wife liked the looks of the 25EP. Enough said there lol.
I don't find it hard to clean but it is the only stove I know.
I am surprised you say that the PDVC is "hotter" because it is rated at less BTU's unless I am mistaken.
One auger and one pressure switch seems to be plenty for me.
On this site somebody does have an ashpan mod that seems to solve that problem. They were kind enough to share that when I first got my stove. This is my third winter with it.
Oh and the OAK is installed.

Last edited:
The pdvc being hothere is honestly my opinion. There is no proof to back up this claim.
Pellet Rick, I already own both of these stoves, and I really like both of them, but the pdvc is easier to care for in my opinion.
Englander customer service is at the top of the food chain. The stoves are easy to repair, and the community here is very forthcoming with information and help.

Reactions: Pellet rick
I think my pdvc burns better, and seems to burn hotter. This is strictly by seat of the pants feel.
I burned the same pellets in both stoves for a while, and at the same settings. The pdvc keeps the basement really warm, and it's a uninsulated cinder block basement. Again, this is purely conjecture.
I will continue to say the I think the pdvc has great design features.

It's a nice feeling to feel that happy about a major purchase and important part of your home. It's weird but it is easy to take a central heating-cooling system for granted. A pellet stove seems to bring so much more enjoyment.

It's a nice feeling to feel that happy about a major purchase and important part of your home. It's weird but it is easy to take a central heating-cooling system for granted. A pellet stove seems to bring so much more enjoyment.
I agree 100%
The pellet stove gives a different kind of heat. My wife was against it at 1st, now she wouldn't be without it!

I agree 100%
The pellet stove gives a different kind of heat. ... etc ...

"Like the heat of a wood stove without the mess and smell" is how my wife puts it. :cool:

Reactions: Jason Knapp