Which trees should I fell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt243

Nov 22, 2016
Arkansas
I live in central Arkansas and am just getting into wood burning. We live on a bayou so the ground is wet most of the year. What trees would you fell and what time of year? We have probably around 90 acres of timber that include various species of oak, hickory, gum, and Cyprus. I know there are other species but would have to get better at identifying them! I currently just have a zc wood fireplace with a blower that is in an open floor plan with very tall ceilings. I am hoping to replace it with a hearth mounted stove in the next few weeks. I currently have around 2 cords of red oak, ash, and elm mixed. Let me know what y'all think so that I can get a start on seasoning some wood for the future!

I would start by cutting standing dead hardwoods regardless of species. It will have already started the drying process. There are bound to be some on 90 acres. After that oak and hickory are hard to beat in my book. If I were gonna fell any cypress trees it would be to mill lumber not to burn it.

Reactions: Jeffm1 and bfitz3
I hadn't planned on cutting any cypress but wanted to let everyone know that it is very wet on my place! I cut a red oak last year that had fallen and was propped up by a huge branch. When I went through it there was probably 10 gallons of water that poured out. It seems like a lot of the trees that have died still hold a ton of moisture. I cut two trees this afternoon that had been down for at least 1.5 years and one was still very wet. Which species of oak would you fell as I have a wide variety? Also, I have shagbark hickory out here as well as regular hickory.

I hadn't planned on cutting any cypress but wanted to let everyone know that it is very wet on my place! I cut a red oak last year that had fallen and was propped up by a huge branch. When I went through it there was probably 10 gallons of water that poured out. It seems like a lot of the trees that have died still hold a ton of moisture. I cut two trees this afternoon that had been down for at least 1.5 years and one was still very wet. Which species of oak would you fell as I have a wide variety? Also, I have shagbark hickory out here as well as regular hickory.

I try not to take any trees that could be merchantable timber. That said any of the white oak species i.e. "White oak, swamp chesnut, chestnut, post" and the shag bark hickory will be some of your higher btu wood. Also look for ash, locust maple ect. species that usually aren't targeted for saw logs but have respectable btu. All that said I have a soft spot for red oak, high btu's and easy to split. Really any kind of oak or hickory will make primo fire wood as long as you dry it.

Reactions: lindnova
H
None! Go scavenging, dear brother of the flame. LOLOLOL

CheapAndDoesn'tEvenOwnASaw
How long do you let your scavenged wood season? I cut 3 or 4 trees up today that had been downed for quite sometime and they felt somewhat damp. They were light when I picked the. Up but damp to the touch. One I am pretty sure was a gum and the others were pin oaks. Some where old enough to have good size shrooms growing on them.

I wouldn't cut any gum trees. They are terrible to split. I'd cut some oak for 3 years from now and I'd cut some maple or any other species that would be good to go next year. Obviously cut any standing dead and any blow downs first. Then I'd start on some live trees.

The gum had fallen probably 2 years ago so I just cut about 10 logs off it to see how dry it was. Do y'all think these trees are just damp from rain and will dry out in a few days? I split around a cord today and was going to cut a bunch more from these trees if it's worth it. We have a bunch of rain coming up this weekend so I thought I would get as much done as possible. Having this open fireplace we go through a bunch of wood!

The gum had fallen probably 2 years ago so I just cut about 10 logs off it to see how dry it was. Do y'all think these trees are just damp from rain and will dry out in a few days? I split around a cord today and was going to cut a bunch more from these trees if it's worth it. We have a bunch of rain coming up this weekend so I thought I would get as much done as possible. Having this open fireplace we go through a bunch of wood!

If you need wood for this winter you should look for standing dead. The upper limbs will be drier and burnable. The lower portions of the trunk will still be wet most likely. Stuff laying in the ground will still be wet. Red elm, locust, maple, ash all are good wood to look for dead. I would stay away from oak for this year. Also, check your chimney frequently. Burning wet wood creates more creosote and could lead to a chimney fire. Dead pine would also be a viable option.

Post #6
Newt, the roadside stuff I grab is usually dead and a threat to power lines.

That's why the crews cut it down. Anything split in summer is ready by the time it gets cold.
The green (still has sap in it) needs a year or more.
Here in the Midwest, ash is the most common standing dead due to an insect, the Ash Borer.
even when wet sitting on damp ground or in semi swampy areas I dry the stuff when needed indoors
where the winter dry air and warmth of the stoveroom has it ready in 1-2 days when split small.
Ash is one of the few that can be split and burned same day in a pinch. I am new too. Feb 1st will be one year.
Learned a ton here. Keep coming back!! These guys have real world knowledge and love to share safety and
of course, screwing over the power companies. LOL

Local city dumps are usually a great source of firewood in the biodegradeable section too!
I collected 2-3 years ahead already over the summer and fall. Check some of the scrounge threads
for some great ideas. Once friends n' fam know you are stoving, they pass on when they or a neighbor are having trees cut.

My .02, you won't like it.
1) its too late to start cutting wood for this winter.
Buy some seasoned wood for this winter.
2) decide what your priorities are for your woods. Wildlife? hunting? firewood? income from sale of logs?
If you have 90 acres of woods a wise man would manage that resource for potential income.
3) Talk to a forester and tell him your priorities, see what can be done to put money in your pocket. Its stupid to cut marketable timber for firewood.
You'll be up to your eyeballs with firewood after someone does a well thought out and managed cutting.
4) if you want get some wood up for next winter cut some of the standing dead stuff or stuff that is dying. If its laying on the ground and has mushrooms growing on it leave it.

Store your cut firewood off the ground, covered so rain can't get at it and open on the sides so the air can dry it out.

You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you only burn WELL SEASONED WOOD!!

I agree with most of what you said but offer one alternative suggestion...
If its laying on the ground and has mushrooms growing on it leave it.
If it's lying on the ground and has mushrooms growing on it, it's still worth slicing into it to take a look. With some trees (oak, for example) the heartwood can still be in perfect shape even if the sapwood has gone punky. I've scored lots of good firewood from logs that looked nasty on the outside.

The only wood I have that can be cut and burned right away is standing dead elm with the bark fallen off and even then only the upper part of the tree. Dead trees usually need at least a year after split. Green oak needs 2-3 years.

Bur (or white) Oak or black locust are about the only wood I will cut up if it has been on the ground for a while.

I have cut some bur oak that likely was fallen for 3 years and probably died well 10 years before that that was still great firewood. Still only took the wood that wasn't directly touching the ground too much. Seems bur oak sheds it's bark, then has a lot of 'fluff' on it for a while as the sapwood rots and if it stands long enough the sapwood wears off and you are left with a super hard heartwood oak. Hard on chains, but the best firewood I have.

Having this open fireplace we go through a bunch of wood!
If you have an open fireplace, you're actually cooling your house. An open fireplace makes the area around it warm, but you draw in so much air from the outside (that is going up the chimney), it makes the other rooms colder.

You should just use it for ambiance. Not heat. Shut the damper and save your wood for your upgrade.

We have an oak for the fireplace as well as a blower. We have a large ceiling fan running in reverse as well. The fireplace will keep th downstairs around 68 in 30 degree weather. I know it's not the optimal set up but its what I currently have! I did cut and split a standing white oak this afternoon that yielded a little over a cord of good wood. It was a little punky on the outside but the heartwood was in good shape. I will be looking for more trees tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.