Whirpool model GB2FHDXWQ "SMART"refrigerator with bottom pull out freezer still leaking water on floor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Hello all.....over a week ago Hubby tackled the DUMB refrigerator. leaking water on floor problem again. Several years ago it did the same thing. He said a "label" had blocked the defrost drain. back then
Unfortunately I didn't write any of all the "cure" down. and put it in folder with owners manual like I usually do.
well he took panel off cleaned drain tube. defrost the ice on coil inside refrigerator, unthawed ice on freezer floor. Pain in butt doing all this He has to remove the freezer roll out baskets after removing inner panel inside. Took off back too and cleaned coil etc. It took several hous. So we thought it all was well again. But nO. It leaked water on the floor agin. today gain too. RAH

No I've in bottom of freezer so far. some water on floor agin.
two days after Hubby did all this( It was a pain in the butt doing all this twisting your back etc while doing all this.() ... It is so much harder to access stuff in this unit. Wish I had my ALL refrigerator, refrigerator working again Never again would I buy the roll out door. I wish they at least kept just a bottom freezer with just a door..
Anyone Know the order of a stopped up DRAIN tube? does water on floor first? then water freeing on freer bottom?
anyone have this problem..??? The unit doesn't have a front drain pan like my older units had. or could at least see drain pan from front of unit
oh we don't have the ice maker installed so thats no problem. plus Hubby accidentally broke th tabs on he said ice maker deflector or what ever. But I looked it up and the part looks to be a "refrigerator deflector" saw it on this site
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/19rn9190ho-0046-106/id-w10157765 could it be causing a problem now maybe causing warm air to enter and causing unit to run more ?????
THANKS ALL APPRECIATE YALLS HELP or suggestions. Advise to y'all don't buy this type unit. Give me a dumb unit any old day

Last edited:
You might find, tucked under the fridge on the frame somewhere, a little pamphlet that shows how to induce a manual defrost cycle. My Amana has one. Every once in a while, the compressor relay on the control board sticks, and the compressor runs non-stop until I notice it. The compressor overcomes the auto defrost, so everything ices up, especially the evaporator. So, I smack the area where the control board is, and the relay unsticks, and the compressor stops. I then do the magic steps which include pressing the door switch 3 times, and so on, and the defrost cycle starts and does its thing.

Your drain tube may be blocked or frozen, causing water in the freezer.

I already replaced the board a few years ago for the same thing. I'll just smack it when it needs it, as opposed to spending $150+ on a board that's just going to do the same thing in a while.

Yours may or may not be able to do that. The first time I did it, there was so much melt water that I had a puddle about 10 feet across on the floor; the little catch tray was way overcome.

These things are way complicated. They take into account how many times the doors are opened, how long the last defrost cycle took, and probably the phase of the moon.

Good luck!

Our Whirlpool French door with bottom freezer drawer had an issue with peeing on the floor after I got it (used, they said it worked perfect, just switched to stainless appliances...yeah, ok, but it peed on the floor from the day I got it) I did a little digging online and found that this was an issue with these and there was an updated drain tube for it...that took care of the issue then. I think other models maybe have an updated tube available too.
The only other problem was with it not doing the auto defrost...found out the control board was bad...found a new updated board on ebay for $75 or so...been good ever since.

My ref/ freezer , bottom Freezer just a door has no drain, so apx every 3 weeks I have to pull the big basket out and clean the ice out of the bottom other wise it will build up and break the gasket seal - water on floor. almost impossible to access the coils under the unit, best I can do is to drag a compressed air line in and blast the coils some what clear that way. I have had , on various , units relays stick, fan & compressor motors, and seals fail. seems the newer the unit the more often they break down.

the blankety blank ben doing it every Other day or so. for a while/ BUT NO ICE IN THE bottom freezer this time like I mentioned...
it did this back a few yrs ago and and none since till recently. So yall think Hubby didnt melt all the ice on the coils like we thought?? prob contact Whirpool abd get the new P tube,,, Hubby said someone sent us something newer several yrs ago when it first happened. But unfortunately it never got Notated on my refrigerator file folder...
Now to make matters worse the Asko fL started leaking yesterday. RAH
Just wish the sky would leak more over my big garden. It drought time and hell hot already here in KY. and I hate dragging hoses/ I havent even got all stuff potted up yet. thanks all
PS. Yeh, Blades I wish our unit had the door and not the drawer.I could kick my butt for not getting an all Refrigerator again.

Think about this for a sec. if there is water in the freezer it's gonna FREEZE and not leak out. The Sub Zero's I service 99% of the time is leaking from the refer section, drain pan or the water valve for the ice maker. Gotta look below to see if floor in wet underneath.

Think about this for a sec. if there is water in the freezer it's gonna FREEZE and not leak out. The Sub Zero's I service 99% of the time is leaking from the refer section, drain pan or the water valve for the ice maker. Gotta look below to see if floor in wet underneath.
PAUL. But there is NO NO no ice in freezer THIS TIMES. only water on floor. and we dont have an icemaker installed and dont want one. so what is causing it???
I just mentioned to Hbby before his nap our old frerig had the defrost pan in front so we could at least see it. RAH. I wish again I didnt buy this blankety blank thing. Bought the warranty 10 yr for compressor ( paid off years ago for another unit)
because the STORE,. we bought it from ( 8 yrs, ago )went out of business a while back

PAUL. But there is NO NO no ice in freezer THIS TIMES. only water on floor. and we dont have an icemaker installed and dont want one. so what is causing it???
I just mentioned to Hbby before his nap our old frerig had the defrost pan in front so we could at least see it. RAH. I wish again I didnt buy this blankety blank thing. Bought the warranty 10 yr for compressor ( paid off years ago for another unit)
because the STORE,. we bought it from ( 8 yrs, ago )went out of business a while back
Ah SQUEAKY wheel get the grease Just called Whirpool on hold for 1/2 hr. But told nice lady I just want the new P trap part I saw on YOU tube. FREE. didnt want no social distancing crap paid visit for installing, She said it will rec Part, by early next week. I saw a comment on You tube concerning class action settlement. I hope this takes care of problem.
will try to let yall Know if this solves the PROBLEM... Now on to checking Out ASko washer leaking( on thankfully basement concrete) floor.

I'm a sheetrock contractor. Seen many a mold/ water damage job from fridge water line. I personally will never have one.