Whistling woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Baileyuk1981

Apr 27, 2022
Nottingham
Hi, I've just had a Portway Luxima Stove installed. When the stove is getting up to heat it's letting out a high pitched whistling.
This stops if the door is opened. Adjusting the air valves makes no difference to the noise.
After about 20 mins use when the stove is up to a good heat the whistling completely stops.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

leak around the stove collar sucking in until the metal warms enough to close the gap?

you can check for that with a match. Smoke and/or flame will be drawn into the leak.

Big Al’s trick works even better with something that puts off visible smoke longer, like an incense stick.

What is your chimney height? Wondering if you just have very strong draft.

Thanks guys I'll give that a try today. I'm unsure of the chimney height. It's a 1930s detached house.
The installer did mention that the draft was strong. If this is the case is there anything we can do it do we just live with it?

That’s funny… I’m going to have to replace our zero clearance fireplace (hence lurking on the forum for a while) and my daughter’s not happy that the new one won’t whistle. Ours is a pleasant medium pitch any time it’s burning. I judge how well the fire is burning based on the noise. 🙂

Reactions: dafattkidd
If the chimney is tall and draft is strong, the stove may need a damper on the flue. Is this a freestanding stove in a fireplace? Can you post a picture of it?

Thanks guys I'll give that a try today. I'm unsure of the chimney height. It's a 1930s detached house.
The installer did mention that the draft was strong. If this is the case is there anything we can do it do we just live with it?
If the cause is too-strong draft, you can fix it, but it's gonna cost you $6.