White particles appear on stove and around it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigpig

Aug 13, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hi,

I've been running a professionally installed Explorer II for two seasons now. It was installed with fibre glass insulation wrapped around the insert (if insert is the right term here). I have to clean up white particles than fall down after every time the fire is run for an evening/day. I suspect these are from the fibre glass insultation(?) Pictures below. Any guidance appreciated.

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.53.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.53.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.53.12 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the white particles are, but the fiberglass should be removed and replaced with kaowool or roxul insulation and then a block-off plate installed to seal off the damper area. At the end of this wiki posting there are links to several examples of block-off plate installations.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

Reactions: Mark8
It can melt when in contact with a hot pipe. Regardless of insulation you don't want the fibers drifting into your breathing space. A properly installed block-off plate will help prevent this.

Fly ash can accumulate on the smoke shelf get it cleaned

It breaks apart into a powdery grit - and is kinda grey/white/black. There is also some accumulating on the mantle heat shield.

How do I clean the "smoke shelf"?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 5.10.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 5.10.14 PM.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 144
B48E050F-50CA-4945-93C5-8139F9409764.jpeg
Chimney sweep or pull plate vacuum it out.

Looks and sounds like small flakes of mortar.

Still going on... more pictures. Not sure if fly ash or mortar. Note the hotter the stove gets, the more particles I get. Yes it does crumble easily when pinched.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.07.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.07.38 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.07.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.07.28 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
im willing to bet that its small pieces of the pipe insulation wrapped around the liner, liner expands during fire or convective heat hits it, a little falls off
could also be mortar

That’s not a terrible looking install. Looks like they tried to do a decent job..
It should have a continuous block off plate above the stove though. The fiberglass should be replaced with ceramic wool or rock wool insulation too.