Whitewashed brick makeover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cableman

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2013
long island
Wife and neighborhood girls whitewashed our brick wall! Left for work and came home to this, i like it!
Ill crown above and make a mantel after all my other never ending projects.
20171022_113610.jpg IMG_20171022_193731.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work ladies!

Cableman, what product & method did they use? Could you put your wife on this thread to explain the process?

Thanks!
I went to ben moore paint store and the guy said to use a primer, water down a half gallon of paint to 1 quart of water. Not sure what ratio they used as i had an empty can of paint but a full bucket of paint/water when i got home!
They brushed/dabbed mortar 1st then brick and a wipe with a rag. Started at the top and worked down.
Ill post a pic of the primer when i get home.

Its odd walking into the room now in a good way, def makes it feel bigger.

IMG_20171023_172710.jpg

Last edited:
The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I read "white wash"
I am very impressed, looks a lot better!
Thumbs up to the women.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So they primed it then washed with the watered down paint or just used the primer for the wash?

Watered down primer gets painted on and wiped right off.

I did mine with a product out of the UK that is made for exterior brick to match original 100-1,000 year old brick with new brick.

Used a white on the grout and a charcoal/black in varied amounts to get the look you see. No prep work whatsoever and I believe all in was around $60 and I only used half the materials that came.

http://www.dyebrick.com/

ISlykpv63zja6h1000000000.jpg 20161114_192153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine with a product out of the UK that is made for exterior brick to match original 100-1,000 year old brick with new brick.

Used a white on the grout and a charcoal/black in varied amounts to get the look you see. No prep work whatsoever and I believe all in was around $60 and I only used half the materials that came.

Looks good, i remember seeing your thread on that.
My brick is a little different, lotta chipped edges and what not so it looks more distressed i guess.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I read "white wash"
I am very impressed, looks a lot better!
Thumbs up to the women.

Mrdinks- curious why you had that reaction when you read "white wash"?

Mrdinks- curious why you had that reaction when you read "white wash"?
I just pictured that whole brick wall painted solid white. I am not a big fan of painted brick, but this looks great. It still looks like brick. Big improvement.

Yes we too did not want painted solid white! Neighbor next door has that from previous owner and they wish it wasnt that way.

Almost a year and i finally made a mantel for the wife!
I hung it sunday b4 work after pl glue dryed on cleat, wife sent me a photo of it decorated already ;lol only has a coat of prime! I think im gonna leave it flat with 1 more coat, goes well on brick.

IMG_20181007_212032~2.jpg IMG_20181008_062110.jpg