Whitfield 2t trouble regulating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nitras70

Jan 29, 2019
Idaho
Hello,
First off, I hope this is the right place to post questions about the pellet stoves.
Anyway, we just purchased a pellet stove due to our electricity bill being $500 a month- to heat an 1188sq ft home in the country. We are having the worst time trying to regulate it and seriously questioning keeping it. At first there was smoke/haze and the pellets backing up the auger and overflowing the burn pot, we tried turning the air flow up-that seemed to fix it and things looked like we had it figured out. Nope, last night I told my husband there was a ton of ash built up and I was concerned it might be too much. He just kind of said it'll be fine-it's normal for it to happen. I was leary about going to bed with it that way and shut it down. This morning he opened the door and ash fell all over-it was crazy-he says he didn't look last night himself but that was too much build up and gets pissed cuz it's still not running like it should. A little background-he grew up with wood burning and he actually sells firewood-we've only just had it even going 2 days-first day, too much smoke-second, too much ash. We have it piped straight out with no elbows. We have a manufactured home and were told we didn't necessarily have to run the pipe for the fresh air so it is just going off of the air in the house. I don't know squat about these things and he's getting frustrated that we made a bad decision getting it-oh we're also using the premium American eagle brand pellets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hello,
First off, I hope this is the right place to post questions about the pellet stoves.
Anyway, we just purchased a pellet stove due to our electricity bill being $500 a month- to heat an 1188sq ft home in the country. We are having the worst time trying to regulate it and seriously questioning keeping it. At first there was smoke/haze and the pellets backing up the auger and overflowing the burn pot, we tried turning the air flow up-that seemed to fix it and things looked like we had it figured out. Nope, last night I told my husband there was a ton of ash built up and I was concerned it might be too much. He just kind of said it'll be fine-it's normal for it to happen. I was leary about going to bed with it that way and shut it down. This morning he opened the door and ash fell all over-it was crazy-he says he didn't look last night himself but that was too much build up and gets pissed cuz it's still not running like it should. A little background-he grew up with wood burning and he actually sells firewood-we've only just had it even going 2 days-first day, too much smoke-second, too much ash. We have it piped straight out with no elbows. We have a manufactured home and were told we didn't necessarily have to run the pipe for the fresh air so it is just going off of the air in the house. I don't know squat about these things and he's getting frustrated that we made a bad decision getting it-oh we're also using the premium American eagle brand pellets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Hello,
I can understand your frustration, i have a Whitfield Profile 20 which i have been using for the last 11 years. I had the same issue which i solved about 4 years ago, it was internal cleaning.
And i mean a heavy teardown cleaning in the exhaust area i actually had to tear down and run a wire snake into the exhaust channels which ran vertically on both sides in the back of the stove.

I don't know about the advantage but its definitely a blockage in the exhaust area
hope this helps in some way
Cliff