Whitfield Advantage II-T - Pellets build up on right side of burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Two Flints

Oct 31, 2008
Northern Maine
Hello to the Whitfield Experts Out There - need your suggestions

I clean my Whitfield every day around 11:00 AM and do a good cleaning. I vacuum all the ash, clean all the heat pipes, have a nice tight stove, at least I think I do.

If I keep my auger setting on #1 I have absolutely no problems; but if I go to #2 I can see pellets building up on the right side partially unburned, and if leave it running that way over night, the next morning my burn pot is filled with pellet ash. And I have a lzy flame to boot.

I think I'm not getting sufficient air flow into the burn pot and burn pot area. I have the damper pulled out all the way . . . have tried different pellets, all with the same result. My glass stays clean, although the bricks darken and get black areas building up.

Any trouble shooting I can do beyond just cleaning? Do I need a new combustion motor? Or maybe need to pull it our and clean it, which I haven't done as yet. My Whitfiend is vented through my log wall - straight about two feet.

I bought it new in May, 2002. Serial # is 42910. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred/Two Flints

Many problems with pellets stoves are resolved by a good cleaning of the internal pathways ... I would start there first and see how you make out. Make sure you clean up behind the back wall into the traps ... some use a cheap dryer vent brush, bottle brush or metal coat hanger followed by a small hose snaked in there that is connected to shop vac with drywall bag (cold stove please!). I would pull the exhaust blower too but make sure you get a new gasket first. The other simple check would be the dollar bill test on the door to check door/hopper/ash pan gaskets (as apply).

Have you done the leaf blower trick on your stove? I clean my Whitfield's combustion space once a week and perform the leaf blower trick after every ton burned. that's all the maintenence I do, this has worked for me for the last six years.

A leaf blower will clean the internal passages just as well as disassembling the stove and vacuuming it out and it is a lot easier.