Q&A Whitfield Advantage Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

It appears that the auger rate of my stove has changed, what causes this?

On the "2" setting (auger rate) my stove normally runs at about 400 to 450 degrees, but lately the stove runs at about 350 to 390 degrees. I have not changed pellets and have made sure the auger motor is not hanging up. I've also noticed that I don't have to fill the hopper as often as I used to.

Answer:

Possible that fly - ash buildup in the heat exchangers and vents is slowing the heat transfer to the unit.

I'm not totally familiar with the control sequence on that unit, but the auger may be taking a rest at times due to too high of a stack temperature (caused by ash in the heat exchangers)...this would result in less pellets being burned and a lower temperature.

Check the manual, many pellet stoves need to be cleaned at certain specified intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.