Whitfield died?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stovensen: I could never figure out how to take these motors apart without destroying them. Or I would have tried to replace the bearings.

If the thermal protector or the bearings 'went south' in one of my blowers, I wouldn't hesitate replacing them. I have the tools in my workshop to do it ( including a CO2 welder ).
On my Fasco blower motors the bearing end plates are welded to the stator housing, as you can see on my pic. A dremel with a grinding disk can easily grind away the four weldings on the endplates. After replacing the defective parts inside, all is welded back together.
IMGP0574.JPG

Other motors use special clips instead:
GEDC0027.jpg

And the four rivets holding the bearing and oil felt together can be drilled out with a 1 mm drill bit and afterwards replaced with 2.5 mm screws. I have a 2.5 mm tap to cut the thread.
Hardest part, as I see it, will be finding bearings of the right size and quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: stellep
If the thermal protector or the bearings 'went south' in one of my blowers, I wouldn't hesitate replacing them. I have the tools in my workshop to do it ( including a CO2 welder ).
On my Fasco blower motors the bearing end plates are welded to the stator housing, as you can see on my pic. A dremel with a grinding disk can easily grind away the four weldings on the endplates. After replacing the defective parts inside, all is welded back together.
View attachment 219541

Other motors use special clips instead:
View attachment 219542

And the four rivets holding the bearing and oil felt together can be drilled out with a 1 mm drill bit and afterwards replaced with 2.5 mm screws. I have a 2.5 mm tap to cut the thread.
Hardest part, as I see it, will be finding bearings of the right size and quality.
Time to calm down,Your thoughts and suppositions are great,your electronics knowledge is great,time to throw in some common sense.Have you ever replaced the small bushings,in one of these motors?Ya,did not think so.Have you ever found an overheat limiter in these small motors?Ya,did not think so.That stuff went away years ago,especially over here,in the 120 volt market,it lowered the prices by making the replaceable unit much cheaper.This is not new,at all.You can prove me wrong by posting the replacement of the small oilite bushings,and,the location/replacement of the overheat thermal switch.I really like your input,on pellet stove repair,but,seems to me,you are grasping at straws,and promoting repairs that cannot be reasonably done.Sorry,but,unless you show me a video,replacing a small bushing,in a FHM,please do not waste peoples time.

Bob, it says "Thermally Protected" on the Fasco motor type-stickers. That is a statement we can trust. The thermal protector I described in a previous post is a very common, compact, reliable and inexpensive way to protect electric motors against overheating ( and transformers and solenoids as well ).
The internet has a lot of exact information on these components and they can be found on ebay at a favourable price:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/thermal-protector

And like I stated earlier, the oilite sintered bronze bearings may be impossible to get in the correct size and even if that is possible, the quality may never be as good as the originals. At that point it's time for a new blower.
But many of the members on this forum are enthusiastic tinkerers with well equipped workshops like myself. Don't you think that we should inspire and encourage each other as much as possible?
Looking forward to hear more about Bugs' combustion blower motor:)

Last edited:
Looks like I may have a combustion fan issue. Fan doesn’t start right away

Bugs, there's one suggestion that I forgot to add on this issue the other day: The bypass relay could be worn out ( unstable contacts ). One way to verify that the relay is unstable is to temporarily bypass the low limit switch. If the blowers run ok at start up with the LL switch bypassed, the bypass relay has to be the culprit.
I must be getting old and my memory getting slow, but now I remember that we have had this issue on the Whits many times before on the forum.
Good luck and take care. Keep us posted

Reactions: RyanMcD
But many of the members on this forum are enthusiastic tinkerers with well equipped workshops like myself. Don't you think that we should inspire and encourage each other as much as possible?

This. I may not actually try to perform rocket surgery, but I enjoy reading about it:)