Whitfield Quest Issue's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermont

Oct 5, 2012
Hancock, Vermont
Thank you for taking the time to review my issues's, this Quest one of the originals, a forty pound bag of pellets burns 33 hours in the basement shop, a concrete tomb, slab floor, poured walls should have kept the dirt floor. Anyway the pictures tell the story. any and all assistance is appreciated.
First picture after 12 to 15 hours of burning, second the ash pan and whats on top, third one not much ash (fly) on the door, but the soot was wiped from the glass and ash's emptied, cleaned after the half way point and relit.

advice, assistance, help thank you

Vermont

IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2051.JPGIMG_2050.JPG

It looks like poor quality pellets to me.

Tell us your brand of pellets. Hardwood or softwood? They really like premium softwood with low ash. May have some pellets that are a bit damp from sitting in a humid area? Glad to see you still have the firebrick. Nice stove and easy to work on and cheap motor replacements.

I have the same stove. These stoves are very simple and easy to work on. My first thought (same as bioburner) is the quality of pellets. I have found this stove to be very sensitive to the quality of pellets. The better the quality the less ash build up.

My next question would be have you cleaned out the exhaust passages? These are located on the left and right side of the fire box. Lenox recommends you cut a hole in the back of the firebox to access the passages. But there is an easier way. Used a leaf blower on the exhaust pipe. Note you will be sucking air from the house and blowing it outside so no fear of making a mess in the house. Just make sure you disconnect the vacuum sensor or leave the door slightly open when you use the leaf blower.

Either search this site or YouTube for leave blower there are several videos that show how it is done. If this stove is an insert you can use a shop vacuum with good filters or pipe the exhaust outside to vacuum air from the exhaust out the back of the stove or from the exhaust fan.

Ask if you have more questions.

Rick.....

Reactions: Bioburner
Since it is an oldie but goodie, I would suspect high ash pellets are the culprit. If we are wrong, we'll help you work through potential issues...

Looks like a very good cleaning is in order. The leaf blower trick should help alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.