Whitfield question - fix it or toss it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheLastLeaf

Oct 14, 2017
Rockford WA
I'm hoping one of you experienced hombres can help with a question from someone who knows next to nothing about pellet stoves.

The older home we purchase a few years ago came with a Whitfield WP4 Quest. The stove worked fine the first couple years (though it didn't seem to heat our space very well, especially the upstairs).

Then the stove started to have feed issues. The auger would jam, first infrequently, then every couple days, then finally every few minutes. I took it apart and monkeyed with it more times than I can count, tried different pellet brands, and finally bought a new auger motor. That didn't help like I hoped - even with the new motor, the auger would jam and stop feeding. Because Whitfield is extinct, I wasn't able to find parts to replace the auger itself, so I finally got to the point where I 'modified' the auger by cutting and grinding it (just like my grandpa used to fix things :-} ). I was hoping that the issue was pellets jamming between the auger itself and the auger tube. You can guess what happened - I cut off too much of the auger, so the pellets wouldn't feed anymore, even when it would turn.

So, finally my questions -

First, does this sound like a fixable problem, and if so, is there anywhere to source an auger or other parts for a Whitfield? Is this a good stove that is worth repairing?

Secondly, after reading some threads here, it sounds like Harman is a brand people agree is good. I found a Harman P68, supposedly in nearly new condition, on craigslist for $3000. It's 3+ hours away, but I'm willing to drive that for a deal. Should I get the Harman and toss the Whitfield? Would it heat our space better (roughly 2400 sq ft, an older home with not great insulation) and be worth the extra expenditure vs repairing the Whitfield (if it is repairable)?

Thanks for any advice.

First, does this sound like a fixable problem, and if so, is there anywhere to source an auger or other parts for a Whitfield?
Your auger can be fixed: Easiest and most expensive fix:
https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...itfield-pellet-stoves-11756300-p/11756300.htm

More difficult, but much cheaper fix:
The material you have removed from the edge of the auger helix can be welded on again, if you have a machine work shop near you.
You probably don't have any record of the exact amount of material that is missing, but I will be happy to take a precise measure of my auger and post it here. This could really work, you know.
Note, you may need a new Nylatron bushing regardless of what fix in chosen, to ensure smooth auger action in the future.

Is this a good stove that is worth repairing?
IMHO, yes, it certainly is. A properly working Quest stove can throw out 27.000 BTUs of heat. Other advantages are the big hopper and huge ashpan. Around here pellet stoves are mostly Italian made, and thes have tiny hoppers and even more tiny ash pans that need to be emptied every second day. I wouldn't swap my good old Quest with one of these, even if it was given to me for free.

Secondly, after reading some threads here, it sounds like Harman is a brand people agree is good. I found a Harman P68, supposedly in nearly new condition, on craigslist for $3000. It's 3+ hours away, but I'm willing to drive that for a deal. Should I get the Harman and toss the Whitfield? Would it heat our space better (roughly 2400 sq ft, an older home with not great insulation) and be worth the extra expenditure vs repairing the Whitfield (if it is repairable)?

Thanks for any advice.

$3000 is a lot of money + a looong drive is waiting there! Besides, the Harman is also a used stove that may have many hidden issues. With the old Quest, you know what you've got.
And lastly: If you read my signature you may get the answer why your stove had the feeding issues. Top feeders just dont like sawdust.

Awesome, thanks Stovensen. I really appreciate it!

I'm going to order that auger and give the Whitfield another try. $300 for the auger sounds a lot better than $3000.

Can you tell me what an Accu-vac is?

Thanks again.

Casey

Can you tell me what an Accu-vac is?

The cordless vacuum cleaner on this picture is almost similar to the one I keep next to the stove ready to remove the accumulated sawdust, when the hopper is nearly empty:

BogD WDB215WA Dustbuster.jpg