Whitfield Ultra Grate 10vs14

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reDonkulous

Oct 31, 2022
Eastern Washington
Hello, last winter I inherited a house with a Whitfield Advantage 2 or 3 (idk which one but S/N:114237). It was a rough first year but generous and kind folks on this website helped me pull through comfortably. It was in bad shape and limped it through winter. Last year the burn pot cracked out. It had an ultra grate 14 bar in it. I went to work and with a bit of scrap steel fabricated a new pot. It worked but wasn’t great. Went to order a new one this year and realized there are two options. 14 bar like mine currently has or an adapter plate with a much smaller 10 bar burn pot. I was hoping to run it this year on a thermostat. Which of these two pots would be best for that?

I am not really seeing anything other than what made me ask my question to begin with, the fact there is options. The one pot in there now is currently 6.875” if I remember correctly from last winter. Is the 5.25” better?

Maybe if we understood what you mean
Are you looking for a hotter burn, more concentrated burn
more economical burn (lees pellets more heat)
Both would work on a stat. just your choice

Maybe if we understood what you mean
Are you looking for a hotter burn, more concentrated burn
more economical burn (lees pellets more heat)
Both would work on a stat. just your choice
Well less pellets more heat sounds like an amazing deal to me. I guess my question is what are the advantages of the 10 bar 5 inch pot conversion over my current 14 bar 7 inch pot. Is it worth it? If both will work with a thermostat that answered half of my question.