Who are you, where are you from..and what do you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
Delta-T said:
kenny chaos said:
Delta-T said:
, 1 son (almost 8), 2 cats.

I'm sorry for your losses.

thank you for your concern, cannibalism has a few "down sides", ya know.
Thank you ( I did not get it at first)

Understanding that one was easy if you have tried to dissect any "Pookisms". ;-)

I'm sure we've all eaten alittle cat now and then....... nothing wrong with that at all.

Wow - Dave from England, you dug down deep to resurect this old thread.

basswidow said:
I'm sure we've all eaten alittle cat now and then....... nothing wrong with that at all.

Wow - Dave from England, you dug down deep to resurect this old thread.

good stuff always comes back into vogue....like Disco, or 80's Metal, or cheese you squirt from a can.

I think we left off at "F"

anybody gonna take a stab at it?

Alrighty- I'm Frank from Fortuna, I fabricate finials for fences. 2 oFFspring, Fannie and Freddie. For fun, I fish and fornicate. Firewood fuels my freestanding footwarmer.- next...

Grover from Georgia
Gretta is wife
Grahm and Glen are kids
Grovel for a living
Grass in wood burner (used to smoke it)

no joke,

Eric
Eldersburg, MD well used to anyways
Estimator for bulk handing equipment

Ill hunt, fish, anything outdoors. work on anything with an engine. enjoying being freshly married, freshly poor in the first house, which is being torn apart and put back together by yours truely. german shorthair for birds, rat dog for burglars (warning anyways, shotgun takes clean up duty)

kenny chaos said:
Delta-T said:
, 1 son (almost 8), 2 cats.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Not often I literally laugh out loud at stuff on the internet, but there it is

Name-Bill
Age-64 as of dec 2-WOW
Owner- Foreign Auto Parts Store
Burning on and off for 50 years still love it, and I've never bought one log.
USE VC Intrepid at present also Jotul as backup in basement
Hobbys-Fishing, hunting old VWs-have a '77 Camper
3 kids all great and wonderful wife (keeps stove burning-luv her)
Viet-nam vet-always pray for our guys overseas
Kind of new to this site, great input and some great ideas-keep it going
Thanks

Pete from ohio
Drummer
Interests are family, teaching,travel,music,martial arts,skiing,ice skating,motorcycles,glass work,wood working,photo,video,architecture,cats,dogs and the obvious associated with this site.

Age: Old enough to try to get out of work to go to Woodstock (I couldn't, I worked for my dad at the time).

Location: Saratoga Springs, NY - "The Graveyard Of Champions"

Stomping grounds: Any remote area that has wild trout

Interests: Wonderful wife, three lovely children, two gorgeous grandkids. As well, I'm into fly fishing, camping and canoeing, music, cinema, woodworking, boat building, glass working, metalworking, martial arts (the deadly "internal" arts lol), home brewing, whisky drinking and cigar smoking.

I am a first-rate gourmet cook, anyone that knows me will agree (or I'll cut off their lemon-glazed salmon with porcini mushroom risotto. I actually taught my wife to cook, she couldn't boil water without burning it when we first met. I make the world's very best chili, jambalaya, BBQ ribs, and salsa verde. If I let you try them just once, you will never leave me in peace. I can pick out a great porterhouse steak and grill it to perfection for you, or if you hunt and can provide me with the venison, I will make you a Bambi stew that you will remember on your death bed.

I've been a musician since my early teens, starting with clarinet (I wanted trumpet, but the band needed a clarinetist), then guitar, and dabbling with upright bass, saxophone, violin, piano and drums along the way. Mostly I'm a guitarist, playing finger style blues on old Martin, Guild and Gibson guitars. If I could do it all over again, I'd be Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I watch the ML baseball playoffs and World Series, even if the best team in history isn't in them (hey, it happens). Other sports I could give two craps for, but love an occasional live hockey game at the local arena and any world class boxing I can watch for free.

Latest venture is chainsaw carving, which should be interesting since I have no natural artistic ability and I ain't so hot with a chainsaws either, but I do have five saws and a formidable pile of big pine logs in my back yard waiting to be turned into bears.

Time burning: On and off since I was in my 20s, damn near a quarter of a century using wood heat as my sole heat source. To tell the truth, I'm pretty tired of it... but you guys have made it fun again. ;-)

I've worn many caps over the years, most didn't fit, some were worn sideways, even backwards (like getting into cancer research in my 40s). I always keep coming back to woodworking, stringed musical instruments in particular. Not only is it my special calling, I have the one essential ingredient every successful instrument maker needs...

... a wife with a good job. :coolsmile:

Battenkiller said:

Age: Old enough to try to get out of work to go to Woodstock (I couldn't, I worked for my dad at the time).

Interests: Wonderful wife, three lovely children, two gorgeous grandkids. As well, I'm into fly fishing, camping and canoeing, music, cinema, woodworking, boat building, glass working, metalworking, martial arts (the deadly "internal" arts lol), home brewing, whisky drinking and cigar smoking.

I am a first-rate gourmet cook, anyone that knows me will agree (or I'll cut off their lemon-glazed salmon with porcini mushroom risotto. I actually taught my wife to cook, she couldn't boil water without burning it when we first met. I make the world's very best chili, jambalaya, BBQ ribs, and salsa verde. If I let you try them just once, you will never leave me in peace. I can pick out a great porterhouse steak and grill it to perfection for you, or if you hunt and can provide me with the venison, I will make you a Bambi stew that you will remember on your death bed.

I've been a musician since my early teens, starting with clarinet (I wanted trumpet, but the band needed a clarinetist), then guitar, and dabbling with upright bass, saxaphone, violin, piano and drums along the way. Mostly I'm a guitarist, playing finger style blues on old Martin, Guild and Gibson guitars. If I could do it all over again, I'd be Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I watch the ML baseball playoffs and World Series, even if the best team in history isn't in them (hey, it happens). Other sports I could give two craps for, but love an occasional live hockey game at the local arena and any world class boxing I can watch for free.

Latest venture is chainsaw carving, which should be interesting since I have no natural artistic ability and I ain't so hot with a chainsaws either, but I do have five saws and a formidable pile of big pine logs in my back yard waiting to be turned into bears.

Time burning: On and off since I was in my 20s, damn near a quarter of a century using wood heat as my sole heat source. To tell the truth, I'm pretty tired of it... but you guys have made it fun again. ;-)

I've worn many caps over the years, most didn't fit, some were worn sideways, even backwards (like getting into cancer research in my 40s). I always keep coming back to woodworking, stringed musical instruments in particular. Not only is it my special calling, I have the one essential ingredient every successful instrument maker needs...

i'll meet you at clancy's on the first sunday of racing at 10am for a bloody mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........yes i am one of the invaders, but i do hate giveaway days!

Name: Steve

Years Burning: 3 years

Hobbies: Cheesemaking, HO model trains

Name: Jeff

Years Burning: 1st year burning

Hobbies: Hording pellets, lol

Terry

58 yrs. old. Never married, had a dog, he died quite awhile ago.

Self employed in the Heavy Construction industry (sounds better than "consultant")

Interests; stayin' alive

years burning wood; goodness....I was lugging in wood to burn since 1958 or so...got my first "airtight" stove in the early '80's, first (and only EPA) catalyst stove in '96. Took me 3-4 years to get the hang of efficient burning. This place, as others have noted, has helped me *not* to see all the chunking, splitting, lugging, stacking and cleaning the dust as work.

Kevin - 30
Doylestown, PA
Middle School Teacher
Been burning since 01/09
Hobbies include fishing, soccer, wrastling, bowling, cooking, chopping wood, working on our new home, searching for a perfect stove to replace old insert, reading a lot of hearth.com posts, hanging out with wife, 10 month old son, and border collie. Oh, and I do drink a fair amount of beer....cheap beer.

Location: Western NC. I am a RI native and have lived a lot of fun and interesting places like Hawaii and Cali, but love it here in the Blue Ridge Mountains and plan to stay here until I become worm food.

Activites: Trying to make a good man out of a good boy. Keeping two herding dogs occupied. Tending chickens. Tending bees. Attending auctions. Reading-mostly evolutionary biology. Birding. Gardening. Hiking. Watching the Red Sox when I can. Enjoying the many great friends I have been blessed with. Trying to bring life back to this old cabin.

This past summer I visited the Galapagos islands and it was the trip of a lifetime!

Time burning: My dad got a little jotul back in the seventies and became a bit obsessive about wood. My brothers and I were his child army. In my twenties I lived in the far northern part of RI and heated by stove for a few years. I put in my little stove last spring and I'm loving the warmth.

Battenkiller said:

I've been a musician since my early teens, starting with clarinet (I wanted trumpet, but the band needed a clarinetist), then guitar, and dabbling with upright bass, saxophone, violin, piano and drums along the way. Mostly I'm a guitarist, playing finger style blues on old Martin, Guild and Gibson guitars. If I could do it all over again, I'd be Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Will you marry me.

Name: Jacques
Occupation: Professor of Biology at local University (teach Mammalogy, Vertebrate Zoology, Animal Behavior and Wildlife Conservation) - Ph.D. from Indiana State University back in 2001. Also lots of private consulting.
Research: natural history, behavior, and conservation of bats
Great wife and 3 great kids
Hobbies: all the wood stuff! playing blues harp (haven't seen Buddy Guy, but saw Junior Wells at Buddy Guy's club in Chicago!), reading, birding, hiking, caving.

Location: Salt Lake City, UT though Texas will always be my home!

Occupation: I work with mothers who are pregnant, giving birth, or nursing their babies and need a little extra help, usually those who have had homebirths. Pretty awesome job.

Stomping grounds: Any place out of the valley where you can actually SEE THE SUNSET.

Interests: Babies, arguing with people, dogs, horses (used to be a dressage rider/trainer until I broke a vertebrae in my back), reading, homesteading, cooking, knitting, quilting, sewing, spinning. Shooting stuff with guns. Archery. Knife-throwing. Cheesy TV sci-fi (Buffy, Doctor Who, Firefly), fantasy books, shopping, spending my husband's money... =P

Time burning: -3 months. ONE OF THESE DAYS I'LL GET THAT STUPID STOVE INSTALLED I REALLY WILL. >.<

~Rose

Location: in the foothills outside of Fort Collins, CO. I'm from either San Francisco or Southwestern Michigan, depending on which part of my childhood you count. But I plan to stay in Colorado indefinitely.

Interests: Wildlife observation; photography (nature and other subjects); hiking; sailing; reading; general handiness, repair, and home improvement projects; microbrews, especial porters, stouts, and "big" beers.

Time burning: We had a wood stove in Michigan when I was a kid. I was allowed to load it and I remember enjoying it.

My husband and I bought our house eleven years ago. It came with an inefficient, cranky 1970s wood stove. We have limped along with it for all these years as our primary heat source, always planning to buy an EPA stove and never getting around to it until this winter.

We just finished installing a Vermont Castings Encore Two-In-One (cat/non-cat) wood stove and are getting the hang of it. It's going well so far. When we get it all figured out I'll post details, since a couple of people here have asked about this stove model.

Years burning: One

Hobbies: Golf, Hockey, chopping wood (I hope this doesn't screw up hobby number one), directing three teenagers, a garage band, audio/videophile

Wishes:to have not sold my RIM shares in 2001

Thoughts:I find this site comforting. Sort of like warm chili on a cold day.

Name: John

Education: Civil Engineering

Burning History: Burning wood for the last six years. No prior experience.

Hobbies: Bucking, splitting, burning, camping, fishing, stained glass,

Family: Married 25 years beautiful wife and three awesome children (two sons, one daughter).

Status
Not open for further replies.