Who has a wood stove in their garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the code? If you have how can you possibly think your install is compliant?

Since you asked, the code says garage and not shop. Also, my permit and inspection were approved. My insurance inspection was also approved. Why would anybody think that a shop stove was not fully permissible? Especially after getting permission from the authority having jurisdiction.

You might think you’re right but in real life, it’s actually allowed.

Look, you have an opinion and you’re free to not have a shop stove but in my case, and apparently most cases, it was permitted by the people that matter.

Maybe you should run for president?

Since you asked, the code says garage and not shop. Also, my permit and inspection were approved. My insurance inspection was also approved. Why would anybody think that a shop stove was not fully permissible? Especially after getting permission from the authority having jurisdiction.

You might think you’re right but in real life, it’s actually allowed.

Look, you have an opinion and you’re free to not have a shop stove but in my case, and apparently most cases, it was permitted by the people that matter.

Maybe you should run for president?
So there is no gasoline or other flammable vapors are present in your shop??? You clearly didnt read the whole code.

And again non compliant stuff passes inspections all the time that doesnt mean they meet code just that they passed inspection.

And as i said i have a stove in my garage. I know it is not compliant and i would not even file an insurance claim if something happened because i know it would not be covered.

Reactions: Highbeam
I have a stove in my garage where I also park cars.
It is above the 18" required for Farmers insurance.
It passed local ordinance (inspection).
I live near Pittsburgh Pa.
I have done things to be safe (stove reqs).
I dont store gas, but have plenty of lacquer, spray paint, acetone, propane etc etc.

I also feel that sometimes the posted speed limit is BS and am comfortable with my conscience going 5-10 over...

I have a stove in my garage where I also park cars.
It is above the 18" required for Farmers insurance.
It passed local ordinance (inspection).
I live near Pittsburgh Pa.
I have done things to be safe (stove reqs).
I dont store gas, but have plenty of lacquer, spray paint, acetone, propane etc etc.

I also feel that sometimes the posted speed limit is BS and am comfortable with my conscience going 5-10 over...
Mine is raised as well. I feel it is safe but it that doesnt mean it passes code.

This is funn reading, I'm getting ready to break code as well, my insurance agent says no problem as long as I store flammables outdoors during stove time, but I understand bholler's code of ethics as well !!

Reactions: bholler
This is funn reading, I'm getting ready to break code as well, my insurance agent says no problem as long as I store flammables outdoors during stove time, but I understand bholler's code of ethics as well !!
I will even install them in garages. Infact i did one today. But i make it very clear to the customer and have them sign a disclaimer that it does not meet code and could cause insurance problems. I am not against doing it as long as the person knows the risks involved.

No dog in this debate so to speak, but some random thoughts . . .

The code is often black and white . . . but we live in a gray world . . . oftentimes it comes down to a fire inspector either not enforcing certain aspects of the code or not knowing certain aspects of the code. It's a common complaint of businesses where one year an inspector will cite them for a certain violation and the next year a different inspector (or sometimes the same inspector) will not cite them for the same violation, but will list out other violations. It often comes down to the human element.

Similar situation, but different: My wife and her ex-husband owned an apartment building here in Maine years ago. They were told by the town and town inspector that they could install trailer oil furnaces (i.e. Miller furnaces) in the apartment building. Passed inspection with no issues. Tenant's boyfriend ended up burning the place down -- smoking or cooking, I forget which. State inspectors came in and fined them for the use of the furnaces as they were not allowed . . .

So, if I call my garage a “shop”, maybe hang some peg board out there, that changes everything?

No pegboard necessary. That stuff is a crazy fire hazard!

Much more logical to hang chains in the wall and call it your kinky circus room.

The permit and approved inspection are part of the permanent record. Some future insurance inspector might tell me to remove it, maybe even tell me to remove my house stove, you just never know but today I have unanimous agreement to burn baby burn in my shop building.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
CSA B365
Installation Code for Solid-Fuel-Burning Appliances and Equipment.
The section that deals with solid-fuel appliances in residential
garages can be found under section 3.3 Hazardous Locations.
The wording reads as follows:

An appliance shall not be installed in a location where a corrosive
atmosphere, flammable gas or vapour, combustible dust, or combustible
fibres may be present. An appliance may be installed in a
(a) storage or residential garage, provided that the appliance is
mounted at least 450 mm (18 in) above floor level and protected
against physical damage; . . .

Canadian code is pretty wishy washy, which makes it open to interpretation, but does include flammable dust and fibre whereas the NPF doesn't. So technically, you could install one(sentence 2) in a shop or garage as long as you meet the requirements of sentence 1

CSA B365
Installation Code for Solid-Fuel-Burning Appliances and Equipment.
The section that deals with solid-fuel appliances in residential
garages can be found under section 3.3 Hazardous Locations.
The wording reads as follows:

An appliance shall not be installed in a location where a corrosive
atmosphere, flammable gas or vapour, combustible dust, or combustible
fibres may be present. An appliance may be installed in a
(a) storage or residential garage, provided that the appliance is
mounted at least 450 mm (18 in) above floor level and protected
against physical damage; . . .

Canadian code is pretty wishy washy, which makes it open to interpretation, but does include flammable dust and fibre whereas the NPF doesn't. So technically, you could install one(sentence 2) in a shop or garage as long as you meet the requirements of sentence 1
Yes in canada here it is very clear not in garages or where gasoline or other flammable vapors are.

No pegboard necessary. That stuff is a crazy fire hazard!

Much more logical to hang chains in the wall and call it your kinky circus room.

The permit and approved inspection are part of the permanent record. Some future insurance inspector might tell me to remove it, maybe even tell me to remove my house stove, you just never know but today I have unanimous agreement to burn baby burn in my shop building.
But not from the actual code and without an official written waiver it doesnt meet code. Signed inspection report or not. I really dont care if you or anyone else has a stove in there garage. I just want to make sure everyone reading this understands that it absolutly does not meet code in the US no matter how many times you claim it does. If they understand that and choose to do it anyway as i and many other do that is up to them.

So who do I believe? Some random guy on the Internet or all of the actual code interpreting experts and authorities having actual jurisdiction in my county?

Sometimes we have to see past our opinion and think about how the rest of this country operates.

In real life, lots of shops have stoves. Good thing I don’t have a garage!

Last edited:
So who do I believe? Some random guy on the Internet or all of the actual code interpreting experts and authorities having actual jurisdiction in my county?

Sometimes we have to see past our opinion and think about how the rest of this country operates.

In real life, lots of shops have stoves. Good thing I don’t have a garage!
You should beleive the code book not me or your inspector. This is not my opinion. It is code and it is clealy stated. You have vehicles in it. Those vehicles have fuel in them that create flammable vapors. And you clearly cannot have a wood stove installed in that environment according to code.

Yes in real life lots of shops and garages have stoves. There are also lots of slammers being used lots of unlined chimneys being used and all kinds of other code violations. That doesnt mean they are not violations.

You should beleive the code book not me or your inspector. This is not my opinion. It is code and it is clealy stated. You have vehicles in it. Those vehicles have fuel in them that create flammable vapors. And you clearly cannot have a wood stove installed in that environment according to code.

Again, that’s your opinion. The actual code interpreters have made a different decision in many cases including mine.

I think it is obvious that there is bholler’s opinion and then then there is the opinion of the ahj. Sometimes they’re the same but not always.

Last edited:
How about this?

While a stove in a building that also may contain vehicles may be against the fire code, the authority having jurisdiction will often permit the installation. Your insurance company may also be fully aware and allow it. However, when you go to file a claim for damages with your insurance company you should be aware that the insurance company lawyers may choose to reinterpret the code differently to avoid paying you.

Seriously, that’s the truth.

Again, that’s your opinion. The actual code interpreters have made a different decision in many cases including mine.

I think it is obvious that there is bholler’s opinion and then then there is the opinion of the ahj. Sometimes they’re the same but not always.
Again it is not my opinion it is code. The ahj's opinion doesnt matter any more than mine. What matters is code and code doesnt allow it no matter what you call your building.

How about this?

While a stove in a building that also may contain vehicles may be against the fire code, the authority having jurisdiction will often permit the installation. Your insurance company may also be fully aware and allow it. However, when you go to file a claim for damages with your insurance company you should be aware that the insurance company lawyers may choose to reinterpret the code differently to avoid paying you.

Seriously, that’s the truth.
Yes i know that is the truth. I dont dissagree with it other than your claim that the lawyers are reinterpreting the code. They are just following code unlike the ahj or insurance agent.

The ahj's opinion doesnt matter any more than mine.

Really? Some rando on the internet or the actual permitting authority. Pretty much the same eh?

Last edited:
Really? You’re going to stick with that one? Who do you think you are?
Ok i didnt word that very well. Their opinion doesnt matter and neither does mine. What matters is code. Yes in some cases there is some room for interpretation. But not in this case it is very clear if there is gasoline or other flamable vapors present no stove.

And this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.