WHO MAKE THE BEST PELLET STOVE FOR THE $$$$$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always bought used stoves off Craigslist or ???
Easy to fix these things, just buy according to condition.

Harman, the money you save by being able to burn cheap pellets quickly makes up for the higher upfront cost. Not dissin' Englander though, good stove if you don't mind fiddlin' with the settings when the pellets or weather changes.

Where are you getting local service for Lopi in Wakefield?

Just wondering because I also have a pioneer and as the article said, they are a bit** to get parts for. You can only get travis parts from a dealer. Love the stove, but hate the whole dealer exclusive parts network. Another way to jack the price on what should be cheap parts.

Here you go http://www.wakefieldfireplace.com/ Granted I've not had to have any service or buy any parts but they were easy to work with, had what I considered to be a reasonable price, had no issue with a self-install ( I am a residential contractor so it was gravy for me). I know a few other people that have had good experiences with them as well. I was able to talk to one of their installers, they sold be exactly what I needed for the install and answered every question. I've been back a few times for other things and they remember me, which is nice with a local business. I'd buy from them again.

I would caution you on anything from Travis Industries unless you have a good dealer in your area that can service the stoves and you will need service or you can fix things yourself. I have a Lopi Leyden that when it works is awesome, Installed in 08, had to replace numerous parts. My dealer is horrible but they are the only game in town or area and they are the only way for me to get parts. If they come out, they never have parts to fix and they charge you again to come back out to finish the job, plus they charge you to order the part. To replace a $50.00 part can cost you over $600. I Oh BTW, you cannot buy parts directly from Travis. I have emailed them for help on numerous occasions and they have replied back every time with suggested fixes. so no complaints there. My stove is going out the door or will make a nice decoration and I will replace it with something else after doing research. I can tell you this I will not buy anything made by Travis because of the local dealer. This stove has cost me more money that it is worth it and I have not saved any money as I can never make it through a season with out fixing something and it takes at least a month to get parts.

We had ours narrowed down to a Quad Classic Bay, and a Harman P43.
We almost went with the Quad till we stopped at a Harman dealer that had both burning, and went through the operating/maintenance with us. The Harman was too easy to use, that's the one we bought and are extremely happy.
it was 2500 out the door in December, and we self installed for a total of 3100.
It has run 24/7 on room temp/auto since January 1st(except for a few 1/2 hour cleanings) without a hiccup.
Keeps our open floor plan 2100 sq. ft. cape chalet(well insulated built in '09) between 70 and 75 without any problems, in this brutally cold winter.
We bought 128 bags of pellets, and still have 49 left.
I'm sure the Quad would have been a great stove, but we are very happy with our P43.
Good luck with your choice

Last edited:
Im going to get the popcorn and site back and watch this thread!:p

Hell with popcorn, I'm getting a cooler of beer to watch this one. Well . . . maybe some popcorn too.

Popcorn.gif

Got to go with harman, I'm heating 2500 square feet with a p 61. Today it's warm out, upper 30's, and I have to keep it on the lowest setting to keep my house not too hot!. And I am burning cheap garbage lowes pellets.

Reactions: Hoot23
I think the answer is any stove that comes with weekly cleanings and an endless supply of pellets.... seems to be the major issues around here... and I do include myself with the latter.

I had an Englander EP-25... While it is a nice stove, it certainly cannot be considered "easy to maintain." I had to shut down the stove at least once if not twice per day to do a thorough cleaning. My Harman P43 requires only daily burnpot scraping (not necessarily even required per say if you have a clean burning pellet but I do it anyway). The weekly cleaning takes less time than my daily Englander cleaning did, and the monthly cleaning takes about as long as it took me to do the daily Englander cleaning. Plus my house is kept at a very steady temperature compared to the last stove. Lastly... the wife has no qualms with maintaining this one! Not trying to knock Englander, but the Harman is definitely a well oiled machine that requires very little maintenance! I couldn't be happier!

Status
Not open for further replies.