Who makes a good cat insert other than blaze king

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Just to compile a list who makes an insert with a cat? We all know blaze king does but man they are ugly. I would buy a Woodstock Insert in a heart beat if they had one and priced it right, the wife would be mad if I bought another stove right now but I'd be doing it for her (he he). So if you do have an insert/stove with a cat please tell how many logs go into the stove and how long they burn and what the temp is inside the house on the coldest days, details please.

Buck has the 20,80, & 91 that can be installed as inserts. The 80 & 91 need an 8" flue, 6" for the 20. The 20 is pretty small, nominally 1.9 cu ft. There is also the Kuma Sequoia at 3.6, but again needs an 8" flue. There are also a couple of High Valley models.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all that came to my mind.

Reactions: etiger2007
I made a thread looking for cat manufactures back in 2010, here is that thread. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cat-stove-manufactures.50004/ I'm not sure which ones offer inserts. I always laugh when I read it since I talk about the BK being ugly, it wouldn't get the approval of my wife and I would only own one if it was for my basement.
;lol

Needless to say I bought one long before I said I would, it's not in my basement and my wife loves it. Funny how things work out/change. :)

Get a Blaze King. You won't be disappointed. Function over form for me, but I dressed her up with the gold door and gold trim. Now she is ready for the prom.

Don't get me wrong I like my BKK but they need to tighten up on their qc on welds.
The latch needs work and the t-stat is real lazy.

The BK insert is far more attractive than the freestander and even though the freestander is not attractive, the bold look will grow on you fast.

It may not be cast iron but the BK insert is about as good looking as any other plate steel insert. What don't you like about it?

If you don't get a BK, you won't get the real long burn times. That is only a BK thing.

Just got home after a 12hr shift at work, still plenty of red hot coals in my BKS20. Packed it for the night, 10 min later the cat is engaged, and I am headed to bed. Stove will keep the house warm all night. I could give two craps what it looks like. This stove is simple to operate, generates plenty of heat, and just seems to burn forever. Coming from the intrepid II, this stove absolutely amazes me.

Attractive stoves, huh, well.... (from my viewpoint)-
Blaze Kings are like that farm girl you used to know, the one who could handle whatever you threw at her. At times, she might not rank up there on the "pretty" scale, but at the end of the day, she got her job done. And she didn't groan much, either.
Just my thought on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.